Wednesday, 10 February 2010

good stuff



Work continues on the slightly secret project. Tell you what, the first person to guess what it is EXACTLY gets a prize. I'll make you a patchwork scottie dog, if you'd like one. But you have to guess exactly - 'something patchwork' or 'a quilt' is not exact enough. So there - you've got a clue. Get guessing.

The postman has been very good to me. Maybe he senses that I am waiting for more fabric and without it I can't get on with the next dresden plate quilt that's haunting my dreams. Whilst he doesn't bring the fabric I'm getting impatient for he has brought me gifts.

This little piece of quilted gorgeousness is from the quilt dude himself, John. Who offered up this awesome kindle case he'd made when he heard I'd got one for Christmas. Yesterday the kindle, the case and me went on the train. I saw one other person with a kindle type of thing, but she didn't have a fancy schmancy case for hers. She doesn't have an awesome friend like John, though.

John - you rock. And that notebook? It's too nice to use and will sit with my other too nice to use things. (Once John sent me a pencil - that is also too nice to use). I have quite a collection of too nice to use objects. I think I get that from my Grandma, she had bed sheets that she never used. They were still in the packets when it was time to move her into the nursing home. I hope I can bring myself to use my fancy stuff before I'm moved into a nursing home. Maybe I should make an extra big effort, but just write special things in my special notebooks?



And then, just yesterday, when I got home from the big smoke I spotted an envelope on the table for me. Still no fabric, but this made up for it. It was complete surprise. I had no clue it was coming. It's a chicken pincushion. Yep, you guessed it, it's too nice for pins. He (or I guess, she) will just sit on the shelf next to the computer with my other precious stuff. Maybe I'll stick one pin in her for effect? I don't know. That seems a bit cruel. Isn't she awesome? She has rice in her bum, so she's all crunchy feeling, I sat last night crunching her whilst I watched TV. The fun never stops in this house.
Miss Chicken was a surprise gift from Rebecca who had made pin cushions a little while ago on her blog, and I asked if they were from a pattern. She said yes, would I like it? I forgot all about it, like I tend to do, having the brain of a chicken (how coincidental). And then Miss Chicken turns up, with the pattern as well. Too cool.



So, John, and Rebecca - thank you. Thank you thank you thank you. This is a week full of good stuff!

22 comments:

stitchsister said...

My guess on your slightly secret project is that you are going to give away your stash of scraps. Am I right? If not, may I have them anyway? (I'm only slightly kidding)

PS Love your blog!

Linda from Wisconsin

Annie said...

Lucky you - secrets and quilting? I don't know what you mean!

John said...

I'm so glad the package arrived! I really hope you like the case. My wife told me she thought it was too masculine, and that I should make you a different one. If you think it's too masculine, please let me know ... I have a little pile of leftover Wonderland strips that could easily be made into a replacement. Just say the word!

And PLEASE use the notebook. It's so ridiculously easy to make that I promise to send you another when you fill that one up.

As for the secret project? My guess is a postage stamp quilt made entirely from scraps. As in, an entire quilt made up of teeny tiny squares. And I sure hope I'm right, because I REALLY WANT a scotty dog!

(Speaking of which, I'll have to pick your brain on it, because Denyse's instructions completely fall apart for me when she talks about attaching the side panels. All that pivoting and folding and such. I'm lost.)

Alisa said...

Secret project...hmmm let me see. I know! A patchwork scotty dog quilt. A wonderful quilt with little patchwork scotty dog blocks and a black and white border. Whatever it is I'm sure it will be gorgeous. Your work is impeccable, and your blog inspiring.

Heather said...

I'm guessing a Trip Around the World quilt.

Purple Paisley Patch said...

I'm guessing that you're making a patchwork quilt (am I right so far?), made up of lots of little squares dug out of your mountainous pile of scraps. I can only imagine how gorgeous it will be, so much gorgeous fabric to drool over for hours and hours and hours......

Your kindle case is cute, lucky gal. But I don't think you can pass up the offer of a Momo Wonderland one, can you?

I'm getting more and more curious about this kindle thing. How much do books cost? How many can it hold? Perhaps there is a great website somewhere that answers all this, if so, please point me to it.

Hugs
Kelly :-)

trash said...

I so hope it is the project Alissa said because I think that would make an awesome quilt. If I start now I could probably get one done for Princess C-W by Christmas 2050!

Doris said...

That kindle case, rocks!!!!!

My guess is a postage stamp little quilt to match the scottie for a gift for a special little one.

Poppyprint said...

You're all wrong. She and Brioni are making patchwork demi bras out of their red scraps just in time for Valentine's Day. Thus,the (Victoria's) secret! haha!

Kristi said...

Love the scotty dogs--I'll have to give it a go if you promise it is not too hard. I'm going to guess a coin quilt for your secret project. Looks like some great fabric!

marieke said...

oh thats fun, guesing what that would be.

I think its already material for a scotty dog. And to the size of it, there could be two.

Nicole said...

Are you secretly making a pattern for a quilty patchworky thingy (is that specific enough for you?)

EmileeHope said...

I think you are making a little patchwork bed or blanket for your patchwork scottie dog!! (Or maybe it is a patchwork pal for the little pup!)

Selina said...

Love the scotty, very cute! I'm guessing stacked coin quilt, but I may just have them on the brain at the moment, so I'm seeing them in everything! Gorgeous packages too, lucky you!

Tracey said...

My guess would be a coin quilt or a blanket for the scottie dog. I can't wait to see what it is!!

Tine said...

lucky you, those are some beautiful presents!

Tina said...

I think just like John does, that you're using up your scraps to make a ridiculously cute tiny postage stamp or miniature coin quilt.

Tina

sandra said...

I think it's going to be a friend for scotty, like another breed of dog or a different animal.

Bronwyn said...

Hi Katy! Thanks for welcoming back to 2010 blogland so quickly!! I have such a soft spot for chickens - and chickens with spots! As for your slightly secret project, I have no idea - except some kind of sausage dog???

comfortstitching said...

I can't guess what your secret project is but of course the cat is out of the bag now that I know John's guess was closest.
Am I right in thinking that there might be a little more to the quilt than just what you are making??? I'm only asking as I can't see what the secretiveness is about as surely all bloggers are afflicted with the 'ooh look what I'm upto' gene accompanied with myriads of photo's of said upto-ness at every opportunity. Obviously I just need to tune in next week and see....................
As for using John's pencil, I say use it!!!!!! He sent me a pencil too and it worked where all other pencils failed!!!!

susan said...

oh i cant wait to see what you two have cooked up then!sweet scottie!

Rachel said...

Are you making an "I spy" quilt? I see lots of fun animals and patterns in your picture :)

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!