Friday, 4 November 2011

quilt market - the booths (part one)

you ready for sensory overload?

Let's go....

Where to start? Quilt Market felt smaller this time, but there was still stuff I completely missed and I still can't figure out how I missed booths by Valori Wells and Jane Sassaman. No clue how that happened. They must have been close together on an aisle that I never walked down. Quilt Market is huge, and so easily distracting, you can easily miss stuff and kick yourself later. I didn't take nearly as many photos as I'd have liked, but I'm still splitting the posts up and spreading them over a few days, because when I came to write this post I realised there were waaaaaay too many photos to just put in one post.

So today we've got the Moda booth

moda new designers booth

The moda booth is always one I find I'm hanging out in most of all. It helps that I have my friends there and that one of best friends was there for the first time this year.
Lucie Summers' debut at Moda excites me no end, she's seriously one of my actual real life best friends. I love her so much and seeing her boothlet at market made me swell up with pride, I'm tearing up right now thinking about it. Damn soppy cow that I am. Watch this space for her, and if you like what she does go and pester your local quilt shop and ask them to stock Summersville. Do the same with all of the fabrics you like the look of, pester and I mean really pester. If you don't ask you don't get. Don't rely on your LQS to stock fabrics you like - you need to push for them. You also can't rely on the local fabric reps to show your LQS owners everything that comes out, quite often a rep will show what they think the LQS wants and the seriously good stuff can get forgotten. I'm really wanting Ellen's fabrics to be a huge hit too - because the scale on these is fantastic. There wasn't any of this at sample spree, and I'm sad about that but as soon as I get some (I've begged) I'll show and share. Physically share and visually. That's a promise, I have a plan, I'll talk about that when I get my hands on the fabrics though. Same with Lu's fabrics. I think we'll have some fun. You'll have some fun. All of us. But more on that later...

summersville/moda

Moda had a heap of good stuff.

Salt Air by Cosmo Cricket (I didn't get any at spree either, and now I'm annoyed with myself)...

cosmo cricket/Moda

California Girl by Fig Tree was a fresher blend of colours than usual. Slightly brighter, incredibly pretty....

California Girl/Moda

Jenn Ski's line, ten little things, looks like it's going to be a huge hit if pre-sales are anything to go by. I'm not as keen on this, it's not my favourite but I can see how it'll appeal, it's a really strong line for boys and the co-ordinates would work well for a man too...

Ten Little Things/Moda

Rouenneries Deux from french General. I love French General. Love love love *sigh* did I mention I love this line? I'm so happy it's been re-printed, with a little twist...

french general/Moda

Malka Dubrawsky's first line, a stitch in color - looks really good, I'm tempted to say as good as her hand printed fabrics especially as it's priced more agreeably to the pocket...

Malka Dubrawsky/Moda


Aneela's new line, a walk in the woods, doesn't fail to delight. It's my favourite of hers so far. Foxes, mushrooms, some lovely co-ordinates too. She's returned to the soft palette of sherbet pips, which is always a winner in my book.

Aneela Hoey/Moda

Kate Spain - always a sure fire winner, her new line is called good fortune. Isn't that quilt cool? (by the way - over on the Fat Quarterly blog there's a giveaway of 5 small 2.5" charm packs of terrain right now)...

Kate Spain

The sweet, sweet, sweetwater gals (well, only one gal here in the pic, very busy on her iPad)...

sweetwater/moda

Obviously Moda had heaps more stuff, this is just a drop in the ocean and my picks. I also heard that they're going to produce extra wide backing fabrics in polka dots. I'm going to take part credit for that idea - I emailed Lissa a while back and asked a simple 'why don't you make cool backings, like polka dots?' I don't know about you but I am not a huge fan of pieced quilt backs (or rather, I'm not a fan of piecing backs - I'm all done when I've finished with the front, I can't be doing with making a second quilt top, I'm a little bit a lot lazy where backs are concerned. I also like to see the quilting on a single piece of fabric. It makes me smile), and I have a tendency to make pretty big quilts, usually they're twin bed sized or larger. I often end up buying 8 or 9 yards of backing fabric, and still need to piece a centre seam. Or I buy bed sheets, but they're not always big enough so I have to piece bits on to them. Polka dotty backing fabrics will make my life so much closer to perfect. Seriously, I'm not even lying when I say this. It will actually make my life closer to perfect. When Lissa told me I wanted to squeeze her til she burst.

Finally...to answer the questions posted by Flying Blind on a Rocket Cycle and Archie the Wonder Dog - consider Aneela well hugged and also informed of your fanship. That girl will get a fat head soon if she's not careful.

And for Chelsea....here I am hanging with Tula (I stalked her well for you, you'd have been proud of me).

Are we ready to move on? Tomorrow we have more booth goodness. I don't even think I'll have finished after that.
Keep watching, there's a giveaway coming. I'm not above bribes to keep you visiting.

26 comments:

Manda said...

So many fabulous fabrics!

Lorraine said...

YES to the dotty backs !!!!
My quilts are usually queen sized & I spend far too much energy & $$$'s on them .
I love to see the whole cloth quilting too .
Thanks for the pics & the great commentary.

maria said...

I actually like pieced backs, but not if the quilt is to hang on the wall, I've used a sheet in the past for this. Do agree though that more wider fabrics should be produced for backs. The ones I've seen at my LQS are horrible! Polka Dots sound great.

Annalisa said...

I'm with you on pieced backs, I absolutely dislike to sew anymore when I'm done with a quilt top. I love single fabric backs. Good news about polka dot wide backs.

Annie said...

I love seeing what your favourites were! These are all beautiful but I especially loved Summersville.

Summer said...

Awesome news about the backings. I like pieced backs for me, but sometimes I just want to be done with the quilt! Yay!

Montseta said...

Wow your QM posts are great! So many things to comment... love Lu Summers fabric, so different, so fresh, I think we will be seeing much more of it in blogs in the near future.
Love Aneela's new line (my favourite is little apples), Sweetwater new colours (I think they have a bunting fabric in their new line that is very very nice), and hooray for quilt backing fabric that is nice and pretty!!!
Personally after so many piecing in the front, I just want a backing in a nice fabric with as less seams as possible... great idea Katy/Moda.
Thanks for sharing so much, it's like beaing there minus the airfare and the fun (you can't have everything)...

Marg M said...

love your bag in the tula pink pic!

Sequana said...

I totally agree with you about pieced backings. They can be really cute, or very swank......however, it's a pain to MAKE them. Good Goddess.

And the current choices in wide fabric are limited......boy am I looking forward to polka dots. Thx for your great idea they took. :)

Oh....and thx for the good pics you're doing here.

patchworkandlace said...

What beautiful quilts ,the hours that must have gone into making them ,such gorgeous fabrics x

Hoola Tallulah said...

Gawwwd, I bet you came back with a full suitcase, so much loveliness, I would find it impossible to resist!

Prof. S said...

Yay! Thanks so much for taking us on a romp through QM. Looking forward to the dotty extra-wide backing fabric.

Chelsea said...

Yay, thanks for stalking Tula for me Katy! You look like you were having so much fun, too.

I'm so excited to hear about the dotted backing. I currently use all those fabrics I bought then later wondered what I saw in them, meaning my backs are a patchwork of icks. Dots would be a huge improvement!

Chelsea @
pinsandbobbins.blogspot.com

Mary Anne said...

Loving all your market posts, Katy! Thanks for sharing!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Applause for the Polks Dot Backing!! I make big quilts too and I'm just done by the time the tops are done, but I still want something fun for the back and I'm usually drawn to polka dots. So sign me up! So many great new lines coming out!Congratulations to your friend Lucie! So great to be able to cheer on our friends! Thank you for giving us a taste of what we should be saving our pennies for!

Flying Blind... said...

Thanks for doing my bidding!!
It all looks so amazing, it's not fair (stamping feet!) x

Sarah said...

I'm really loving your posts Katy, fascinating stuff. Thank you so much for covering it so well for those of us that dont get to go to things like that! Cant wait for polkadot backing... genius! And I really want that Pear tree and summersville already.... oh dear!

Trudi said...

ok sensors overloaded :D Fab report! looking forward to more :) Need to see it all before there's a fave! Polka back, Mmmmmm, delicious, but then I don't mind piceing my backs even if it's just a centre seam :)

Archie the wonder dog said...

Extra wide dotty backing?! How fabulous! Thank you for making it happen *g* Thank you for telling Aneela how much I admire her and as long as her head doesn't get so big from all the compliments that she can no longer draw, design or stitch then it'll be ok! Love Lucie's section of the booth!

Katy Cameron said...

Looking good so far! Bribes you say? Bring it on :o)

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

Wow, thank you so much for sharing!! I've been eying over just these pics here for about 30 minutes :) I can't imagine actually being there!!

Katherine said...

I was soaking up the goodness revealed in each of your photos, blissfully happy when I read about polka dot backings... oh, I could do cartwheels out of sheer joy upon reading that. Simply brilliant!
Thanks so much for taking the time to share market with us. I'll be looking forward to seeing what treasures you will share next!

Lotti said...

Love that Lucie Summers range and I'm always open to some bribes!!!

**nicke... said...

you don't have to bribe me. i will come visit with out them. i am loving these updates katy!

veryberryhandmade said...

Really looking forward to seeing Summersville. And going to take your advice on pestering shop owners about fabric. Still wondering if we are ever going to see any Denyse Schmidt's Greenfield Hill in the UK now. I am guessing not!

john dev said...

I love that summer range.Really pics to read Quilt Market is huge, and so easily distracting, you can easily miss stuff . You can take as many photos as you had liked, but I'm still splitting the posts up and spreading them over a few days, because when I came to write this post I realised there were too many photos to just put in one post.Every startup needs business strategy
free go to market strategy template

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive