Wednesday, 8 February 2012

spring carnival

spring carnival pillow

I started this back in October on the plane to Houston. Then it got ignored whilst Christmas and New Year got in the way and monopolised my life.

It really doesn't take long to make something like this, you know, in reality a week or so of hand sewing every evening for a couple of hours and you'd be all set. I know english paper piecing isn't to everyone's taste but I find it unbelievably relaxing, like reading a book.

This pillow is a big 'un - it's 26" square, which I find perfect for slouching on the couch against or using to prop myself up in bed.

My quilting (as usual) is pretty shocking, there's a big old pucker in the middle (most likely because the pieced top is appliqued onto a background, so that is going to shift about a bit when quilting) but I don't really care, you can't see it, not really, and I sure as heck don't notice it when I'm sat on the pillow. I also needed this finished, because when I teach my class in a couple of weeks this is what I'll be teaching.

spring carnival pillow

....and the back - which is also quilted, so it's got plenty of structure and doesn't flip flop about irritating me for ever and a day.

spring carnival pillow

I'm going to have this pattern (the design sheets, and the various shapes - not a how to English Paper Piece) and also some acrylic templates available shortly. I'm just waiting on the packaging for the templates and I'll put them up for sale.

26 comments:

Judith said...

It is fantastic and I am looking forward to you pattern.

Kerry said...

The straight lines over the cogs work so well and seem to make the colours blur and soften so it looks like it has existed for years, lovely

Linda said...

Love this cushion!. I'll be looking out for your pattern as I love handsewing . Doing a lot of sewing and hand quilting at the moment as I am at home a lot during my chemotherapy. Small projects like cushions and dolls quilt etc are just the ticket.
Linda(FOQ Angel)

insearchofmyfigure said...

It's fabulous! Love it. Will await the pattern with interest. This year is my year of doing different things!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Bloody marvellous you're a bloody geniarse

Eli said...

Wow, I love it! I so wish I could have come to your class... After I finish swooning I will try my hand at paper piecing. It does help that I've bought the new Fat Quarterly!

Flying Blind... said...

It's a beauty x

elsy said...

just started a bit of paper piecing, youre right very calming in a front of a good black and white....great pillow

Laura @ Needles, Pins and Baking Tins said...

Wowee! It looks so different now its quilted and put together and not on instagram lol! I love it!

Kelsey said...

This looks great - can't wait for the pattern!

Sarah said...

Oooh I was wondering if you were finishing that! Its FABULOUS and I want one... Amazing way of showcasing my fav fabric :-)

diane said...

What is that gorgeous fabric?

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's wonderful!!

Debbie said...

I love the fussy cut. What wonderful fabric!

**nicke... said...

oh the straight lines make the cogs stand out so much! it is beautiful katy! good good good work!

Katy Cameron said...

I was just going to say I love the quilting, can't see whatever pucker is there! Love the paper piecing

Di said...

My, that is beautiful. What pucker? It has vanished. I do like the straight line quilting. I'm in the queue for your templates. Di xo

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

gorgeous!! simply gorgeous!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Been following the progress on Instagram. It's beautiful! Looks SO complicated!

Bonny said...

I love that you are not a fanatic about perfection! You are my kinda girl:)
I love your pillow! Fabulous job:)

Rachaeldaisy said...

Such a mesmerising pattern, and it looks so cuddly!!

MBMeadows said...

I'm very very excited to get this pattern! Thank you!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Don't hate me for saying this, but that was only a pillow? It look so much bigger in the other photos. It does look gorgeous!

Jacey said...

Oooh, oooh! I love it, Katy! Gorgeous finish!

Nanette Merrill said...

It is beautiful. And I love the quilting.

Jenean said...

Wow, this looks so beautiful! Your work is so intricate and cool! I love it!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!