Sunday, 12 August 2012

Denyse's giant granny

Once upon there was a girl called Denyse. She had a giant granny. She was so huge she couldn't fit into her house any more, so Denyse built her a house out of fabric and quilts, so it would stretch and bend and be more soft and comfy for her giant granny to live in.

The end.

Ok, that's made up. It might not be made up, but I'm pretty sure it is. This is Denyse's giant Granny, a granny square quilt block but made with 5" strips so the block end up around 19.5". I used flea market fancy and some of the Joann's (and Spotlight in Aus) Denyse fabrics, which are so good. I think most of these ones were from the first collection, Picnics and Fairgrounds (? Is that right? It was a while ago and I'm not certain that was what it was called).
I had planned to make this super big but then I got bored, so it's a nice small twin-ish size instead, about 60" x 80", which is still a pretty good size, and probably more sensible because it wouldn't go on my bed so where the heck was I thinking of using a massive king size quilt anyway?
That background is timeless treasures sketch in white and black. Obviously. Obsessed much? Remember UK peeps - Alice at Backstitch has a heap of sketch in stock now (and also Fat Quarter Shop and Pink Castle Fabrics for my overseas peeps). I don't think I need to bang on about how good it is any more, do I? I did that just the other day. 

It was good light today, not too bright, not too dark so I took a few pics...

giant grannies

a blowing in the breeze pic...

giant grannies

and the from behind to look like stained glass pic....

from behind

Off it goes to Long Arm Chris. Bye Bye Denyse's Giant Granny.


29 comments:

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

It looks fabulous! I might just have to invest in some sketch :)

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Lovely colours. The grey Sketch fabric really works well with the Granny Blocks.

Debbie said...

I love it 'giant!'

Barbara Woods said...

i made one giant granny and quilted it and hung it on the wall

heartsofhampshire said...

HUUUGE quilt envy coming on!!absolutely love it
Heather x

Flying Blind... said...

Damn hot granny x

Mrs Pixie said...

It looks stunning! :)

nicolette at dutchcomfort said...

It looks divine!

Nicky said...

Like it unsashed!! Big is beautiful!

Cherie said...

Yay for giant grannies! I made my father a quilt using them as well as a few pillow covers! They came to 20" which is a great size to work with =D

Archie the wonder dog said...

Your plus-size granny is splendid - I love her!!

diane said...

You made Denyse proud, I am sure!

Katy Cameron said...

It's supergran!!!

Karen said...

Ok, what was that again? Sketch what!? Hehe

Beth said...

I love it! And you have definitely convinced me to add sketch to my fabric wish list.

Marian said...

Love the sketch fabric! And the giant granny is awesome. The story makes it!!

Lisa said...

I love it with the blocks set together with no sashing! I thought that was against the rules LOL! I've been making piles of grannies but don't like them all set apart and framed so haven't done anything with them. It's so obvious isn't it, just don't use any sashing! I'm an idiot! Thanks so much for the inspiration, they'll be coming out of hiding next weekend!

Dolores said...

It looks so good, I love that B&W Sketch. I'm nearly all out of the other colours but the B&W is top of my list. Hey I couldn't see any Picnics & Fairgrounds, I think the other range you're using is Winding Roads?

dxx

Toni Selman said...

Beautiful! You've given me a good idea for all those DS fabrics I've collected from JoAnn's.
Toni
www.lifeinapinkbunnysuit.com

mascanlon said...

Yea, yea, I need to get on this band wagon too!

Charlotte said...

that's fab! I much prefer the giant grannies to the little ones - I am way too lazy to make gazillions of teeny ones

Gina said...

Oh this is absolutely Fabulous (darling ) . Ok seriously I love it . It's nicer in bigger squares ,I think ! Love love love it !

cat and vee xoxo said...

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, can't wait to see it quilted. Love those bigger squares - this granny block is on my list to try.

I went and had a look at Longarm Chris' blog too - how awesome is her little studio at the bottom of the garden!

have fun doing the Sizzix at the quilt show. Cat .

Cindy said...

Love it! Im making a DS granny quilt as well.

Jeanie said...

It's just, SO good!

kelly lautenbach said...

I too made giant granny blocks with my Denyse fabrics... I call mine "Hangin' with Denyse". After looking at yours, maybe I won't sash mine after all. I've been putting it off since I HATE to sash. Yours looks fabulous! :)

Jacey said...

So good! I love the stained glass pic best.

Carla said...

Gorgeous! Long arm Chris will do you proud!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive