Tuesday, 14 August 2012

soft and snuggly

cloud 9 flannels

Some friends of ours are having a little baby girl, who is due this week. Serendipitously, perhaps, Michelle from Cloud 9 fabrics sent me some of the new nursery flannels to try out just a couple of weeks ago. I'd been really interested in the flannels at quilt market and was eager to give them a whirl once they'd got some sample yardage.

I am currently really loving on flannel, it makes great quilts that are warm and cozy and oh-so-soft to touch. I don't think you have to try out fancy designs, just simple patchwork or strips, like this, and you are onto a winner. That's my tuppence worth, anyway.
I cut strips that were the full width of fabric by 7" or  8" or so (I didn't measure) and sewed them together. I also made a simple applique name using a print from Vintage Modern by Bonnie and Camille (to do this I simply printed out the letters using Word and made them super big, then traced them onto the fabric that was backed with fusible web. It was a pain in the you know what. I am adding the full set of Sizzix alphabet dies to my Christmas list this year, because I like the look of the applique, but not the process of cutting and tracing and blah blah blah!)

cloud 9 flannels

You may remember I made the husbeast a flannel quilt using Anna Maria's flannels earlier this year and I bound it with a voile, which made me think of satin edged baby blankets. That quilt is still being used, despite it being Summer, because Summer has been a complete wash out over here. It is washed regularly and is still as soft as ever. I had a yard of Tula Pink voile that I'd picked up on sale from Lola Pink fabrics (they still have a little in stock actually) earlier this year. It was a perfect backing choice, and makes the little quilt double sided soft. I then bound it with a pale pink art gallery pure element, that almost feels like a voile, but is just a really high thread count cotton. Sewing the binding on was like sewing butter - it was so lovely. I'm tempted to go back and order the rest of that voile, so maybe you should sneak in fast and do it first. 

The nursery flannels from cloud 9 are even softer than the free spirit ones, and although they inevitably fray a little when you sew them, as flannel does, they didn't fray as much either. I used a good and generous 3/8" seam or so - not quite a 1/2", but definitely bigger than a 1/4". I also didn't pre-wash the flannels, although it's advisable to do so as they can shrink. I didn't think it would matter too much in this case, as the quilt was such a simple design. I also used a poly batting that won't shrink, so that should keep things pretty straight when the quilt is eventually washed.  Plus I just wanted to sew, and I wasn't waiting around for the stuff to dry, I don't have that kind of patience.

Now I'm just waiting for Lily Rose to enter the world and I can use one of these clever little labels from a Yuwa print I got from sew me a song to mark the birthdate.

labelling

Nursery flannels are available really soon - Annie at the Village Haberdashery has ordered them and you can sign up for email notification of when they arrive by clicking here.

19 comments:

Charlotte said...

that's really lovely. I've never sewn with flannels - maybe I will give it a go. Also loving the label idea - brilliant!

Isisjem said...

Your brave not prewashing flannels. I'm glad I was told you 'had' to as I did have some designer flannel 'run' in the wash and mark something it was washed with. But I do hate the tangly mess you get when you don't zig zag the edges before washing.

The undomesticated scientist said...

she's a lucky baby to be. flannels are very snuggly, i did duvet covers for my godsons with them and they love them!

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's gorgeous - what a lucky baby!

Collette said...

beautiful work! I got some AMH voile recently in a little giveaway and it really is as soft as butter you just want to touch it don't you? I am planning a little scarf for the autumn. x

Sonia said...

That calendar fabric is cool!!!! A lovely quilt - lucky baby :) x

mascanlon said...

I love backing quilts with flannel as well as voile, either one adds to the cuddle factor. Living in SoCal I don't make too many completely flannel quilts but hey they can always be gifted to friends and relatives in colder climates. Live these a baby quilt version Katy.

angharad handmade said...

Really beautiful - I do love the muted shades of the cloud 9 fabrics. And flannel is such a perfect snuggly fabric for baby makes!

Kelly said...

This is so lovely. I made my daughter a quilt from Cloud 9 flannel in strips. I think it is my favourite thing I have ever made. I want to make myself a flannel quilt so I will keep my eye out for these.

Sheila said...

You are a bad influence, I have just made my first quilt in 13yrs without pre-washing the fabric, daring huh?

Mermaid Sews said...

Soooo sweet and cute, I love flannel quilts.

Katy Cameron said...

Oh that looks gorgeously snuggly. Loving the look of those flannels too!

Cherie said...

What a cute quilt! Such pretty fabrics. Wow I thought the calender fabric was actual paper till I saw the selvedge on it =D

Tina said...

Beautiful!! What a lucky baby!

Audrie said...

That calendar label is an amazing idea! Sometimes you're just too damn clever.

Poppyprint said...

Your label idea is utterly brilliant! Will you embroider a little pink heart around her birthdate?

traceyjay said...

those cloud 9 colors are so perfect... beautiful little quilt! :)

Jacey said...

The letters you made were worth the pain, I think. Lovely touch! And the flannel softness! Yes, that's a winner.

Sarah Watson said...

What nice looking flannels, and love the pink and yellow!
And I love that calendar print! I'm going to have to follow your link and find it. Super cute and useful!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive