Thursday, 18 October 2012

over too soon

Sewing Summit has been and gone. So fast. It flew by in a blur, and I haven't even managed to unpack my swag yet. There's a whole suitcase of it (it's a carry on size, but still - that's a lot of swag).

I didn't even bother taking my real camera, because I knew for a fact I'd never use it. So all of my pics are from my phone, sorry 'bout that (I'm not really sorry, I was having too much fun to worry about photos).

Highlights?

The people. Whether it was finally meeting friends face to face that I have known and spoken to for the longest time or meeting new friends or seeing old friends again, it was the social side of Sewing Summit that made it for me. That usually meant it was time spent in the hotel bar, or breakfasting with a group of people or sitting on a table with people I had never met before at lunch and chatting. I like people. I like to chat. The chatting and the people will stay with me forever, they're the best kind of memories. I wanted more chatting time. Next time I think I'll skip classes and just chat - because chatting in class is not good (although I did do some of that too and spent most of Sara's zipper class giggling at the back with Mena who was completely useless at zippers and makes her own clothes - all of them WITHOUT zippers!)
I can't even begin to list all of the amazing people that made my weekend so special, if we talked, even if it was super brief, you're one of them. The smiling faces and the people that actually knew who I was and came up to say hi (because I have to admit at times I was overwhelmed and just had to stand still to breath it all in), those were the people that made the experience so precious.

bar drinking

I taught a class! It was awesome. So many familiar faces in the room and I even had a guy in there too - poor Michael, he was blind by the end of the class from concentrating so hard on the little stitches. I am pretty sure he came to Sewing Summit to keep his wife company, I don't think he was a sewist...but he gave it a really good go, and inevitably he got picked on a bit because he's a man and man hands and english paper piecing are kinda funny together.

(thank you to my awesome assistant and favourite person that might be a secret sister although we are kinda a funny match with me being tall and white and her being short and Asian, Audrie, that took pics...because I didn't and if I had they wouldn't be as good as hers)

my class at sewing summit

my class at sewing summit

I know from being part of the Fat Quarterly retreat that organising something like Sewing Summit is a heck of a lot of work and a logistical nightmare, so a huge hats off and round of applause to Erin and the team for making it run so damn smoothly. SO smoothly. They did an amazing job, and worked tirelessly to make the experience the best it could be for everyone - that's no mean feat, let me tell you.

The absolute best best best thing of all about Sewing Summit was being there with Lauli Pops. I know she's my friend at home too, but we never get to spend that much time together usually. I feel a bit lost without her now we're home. Love you Lauli xxxxx

KJ and Lauli Pops
(I pinched this pic from Lorelei, who made a whole load of us those mardi gras type beads with sewing related 'keep calm and....' tags. I didn't take mine off the whole time).

I need to unpack my loot and my gifts (so many gifts; amazing gifts from people I had never met before - I was close to tears and have been since I got home and have been checking through all my lovely stuff). The loot deserves it's own blog post because I have to thank a gazillion people.

Lowlights? It's over.




24 comments:

Kara @me_and_elna said...

I so enjoyed seeing everyone's pics on IG! Hope to get my booty there next year. :)

House of Pinheiro said...

I will go next year.. its too much fun to miss!

Laura Jane said...

Look how cute we are! Love that picture, love you xxxx

Flaun of I Plead Quilty! said...

Love that pic of you from the back - I'm looking for a new hair style - prepare to be copied! (maybe)

Kristy said...

It's so funny to hear you talk of being in AWE of others; because when I saw you at Quilt Market in May, I felt the same way about seeing you...although I unfortunately never got the chance to actually say Hi!

Maybe at QuiltCon, eh?

Thanks for the Sewing Summit update, I'm hoping to attend next year.

Isisjem said...

I love reading SS posts because I can live vicariously through them. And no doubt when you come back down to earth you'll have a million more ideas for the Retreat because of your experience at SS

AliceAndFlorence said...

Looks like you all had a fantastic time!It's hard to come down to earth after something like that...but then why would you!
Wendy

Mermaid Sews said...

Great recap! Thanks for the shout out, glad you liked the beads! Was so great to meet you, it was soooo fun. Portland I hope =)

Flying Blind... said...

I am so suffering from swag-bag-envy!

Catherine said...

Sounds like a fantastic time: and just think, it will be our turn over here soon too: can't wait for that!

Trudi said...

Ooh swag! Looking forward to that! Glad you had the bestest time ever!

Nicky said...

OH MY YOUR SHOES KATY!

CitricSugar said...

Sounds like a great time - glad you had fun!

Ps - Heard your class rocked. :-)

dolores said...

Ack! So freaking jealous!;) But that's ok...I don't think I can make FQ retreat next year but I'm going to try hard to go to the Sewing Summit...so you HAVE to come back!;)

Audrie said...

Miss you loads already, mah sister! <3

Suz said...

Wow check out those tatoos! Maybe you should start a tatoo blog hop??

diane said...

This is a great recap. I really wish I would have gotten out of my comfort zone and came over to talk more, but I am shy too. London...see you there!

CathyK said...

So happy for you that you had a great time!

Mandy said...

clink, clink to a drink and a chat next July then! :D

City Krafters said...

Great to keep up with like minded friends
Well done and love the pic's

Sheila said...

Sounds like you had a blast - nice memories!

Kaye Prince said...

Mwah, mwah, mwah!1 I miss you already darling! England is just too damn far away!

Katy Cameron said...

'Twas fab to see you there roomie, hope you've unpacked now!

Lindsay Conner said...

Katy, I am bummed that I managed to go the whole weekend without meeting you! Lots of fabulous sewing friends around--I'm glad you had a great trip!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive