Saturday, 24 November 2012

get that ssshh done

Well, Thanksgiving is over people. Technically it's not because it's the whole Holiday weekend thing but you know what I mean. You ate the turkey, you stuffed yourself with pumpkin pie (and you know you are eating whatever's left for breakfast). Once Thanksgiving is over the next stop on the Happy Holiday Bus Tour is either Hanukkah or Christmas (depending on which side of the coin you fall). And once that's over and done with it's the new Year. And we are into 2013. HOW THE HECK DID THAT HAPPEN????

We have 38 days til the New Year. That's not long, but it's plenty of time to pull out the WIPS and half finished whatevers you have hanging in closets and on the backs of doors and shoved into drawers and get that shizzle finished. If you are super organised you could even repurpose some of it as gifts. Oh yes. Swapping you valuable shopping time for finishing time, and a smug sense of accomplishment.

Jane has been quilting up a heap of lonely orphan quilt blocks to make into pillows. Nice work Jane. I like your thinking (I have a package of my own to send to her, I swear she offered - I didn't just decide on my own that she had nothing else to do).

get that ssshh done!

I have one quilt out at the quilters (thank you Trudi for your awesomeness) I just picked up 3 from Long Arm Chris and one just arrived home from Sarah in upstate New York (yep, that one went a looooooong way for quilting!) I have the binding ready to go, and I am going to get all of these 5 quilts bound and finished in time for the New Year (I had been saving up my teaching and destash pennies for those quilts to go get quilted - and decided it was my Christmas present to myself!).

I really want to start the New Year with a pretty clean slate, or at least no more quilt tops hanging on my closet door. So I have one more to quilt myself and then a big pillow and I will have got my ssshh done (the finished stuff at least, there's still a couple of quilts I haven't finished piecing but I'm trying to be realistic here!)

Who is going to join me?

How much ssshh do you have to do before the end of the year? How are you doing?



It's small business saturday (???!!! what the heck is that?!!!) and the Holiday weekend sales are still going strong. Check out this link for What's New Pussycat Turkey Day Special with details of what's happening sales wise (couple of really big sales at Pink Castle Fabrics and Fat Quarter Shop that you won't want to miss out on). I've been updating the post as the weekend has gone on, so check it out!


22 comments:

elsy said...

did you mean to depress us with that first paragraph? 2013 how did that happen?.....i will aim for a clean slate but its oh so tempting to keep starting something new!

dutchcomfort said...

Thanks for reminding me!
Too much ssssshhhhhh here. Won’t get it done in 38 days. Never. Ever.

Nicky said...

I will have been SSSSHHHHHing for two years in March! Only got three quilts left now to SHH off! Not sure I can finish them all but going to try my damnedest!

So want to start something new next year - wink!

Pat Sloan said...

you slapped that challenge down!! only 38 days for the massive... I didn't get this done yet but said it would be by the end of the year? yikes and double yikes!

i swear.... i'll try.. wink!

Elsa said...

I've got way too many projects to finish by the first of the year without going bonkers. And, I have to admit I have 3 knitting projects going right now too ~ those will get done.
It would be nice to start the new year fresh, but it isn't going to happen at my house.

Flying Blind... said...

We don't talk about the shhhhh!

Allison said...

I've got way too much ssshh to finish before the new year {ack, how can it be that close???} Love the idea of giving languishing WIPS as gifts, and trading shopping for sewing, though :)

dolores said...

I'm really doing pretty good...I had 16 tops in the closet and now I only have 3 waiting to be quilted and 3 waiting for the binding to be hand stitched!:) *patting myself on the back*:) I'm not going to stress over them as I really want to get back to my hexy mf!;) Three rows to sew together then stitch that puppy on the top fabric!!

BTW....Small Business Saturday....go to your local small business and buy something!;)
xo

Heleen Groot said...

I am actually not doing that badly...... There is one NEFT (Never Ever Finishing That), the Wish quilt by Bronwyn Hayes to finish, last year's mystery quilt needs a last border....Oh and that red quilt needs to be quilted...And the new mystery I need to start that one, part 2 is almost here......I'm not doing that well....I should really get going.....

Catherine said...

I have a few things to finish, but I also have an exam on Dec 14th: last one hopefully. So I can't do much before then, but then I will be quilting and sewing like a mad man, so I may catch up!

Deb said...

I'm with you, I want to start the year with a clean slate. I have eight quilts to bind. Yes eight. One of them, the Lizzy House Halloween one has been being used by the family and washed twice, gulp. In fact it's worked its way into the quilt cupboard. I have a secret santa present to make, I want to make this http://quarterinchmark.blogspot.co.nz/2012/08/tutorial-patchwork-bucket.html because it looks cute and I have to make about 10 pillowcases for all the kids in our life for Christmas. I copied you and brought that amazing fabric from Brenda with the airmail stripe etc. I'm also working on a 3m x 2 metre wall hanging (on commission) which I am passionately hating and wish I had said no to. Did I mention we are going away for a week for a family wedding before Christmas? no. It's crazy I say. I feel my children may get unbound quilts for christmas.

Brenda - justabitfrayed said...

if I could just have 38 FULL days of quilting... :) I have a lonely stash and WIPs that want to be beautiful things.

Karen said...

Gosh I love getting quilts back - Sarah does rock too :) I have 1 unfinished quilt - I know right!? How can I call myself a quilter with that? Just considering what small projects I can be finished with for gifts...

ircabbit said...

I am hoping to finish my spinning stars quilt this year (one block left!), and hand sew the binding on a king size quilt for my bed. Last on the list is the "Get Your Curve On" quilt that I started, ugh. Not sure what to do with that at all.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Like I told you this morning... 34 WIPs/UFOs. I'll be happy to bring that down to 30 by the end of the year. Maybe 31...

Kris said...

I'm with Flying Blind! Shhhh! Don't talk about that! Too much to do here, but I have been focussing on finishing ufo's this year and have finished four. Not a world record, but better than the zero from last year. Onward and upward! (Or should that be "To infinity and beyond!")

Marian Griffin said...

wow, i really didn't need to know how many more days are left in the year...now i'm really going to need some extra caffeine! good luck on your list!

Anna said...

What? That's all that's left in 2012? O.O I have 2 quilts to finish and lots of little gifts... Here's hoping I can stay focused and get it all done! Thanks for the countdown- maybe it'll give me a good kick in the butt!

Trudi said...

Ok, I'll commit to quilt at least 4 out of 5 customer quilts before Christmas, ideally 5 so it's not hanging over my head! Finish piecing my swoon, and my Brit Bee Lynnebob, then betwixt and between the C word and NYE I'll quilt up some of my own, (too many to admit to) tops! How about that for a plan ? Oh and a a few gift making sessions in between the quilting :).

Archie the wonder dog said...

That pile looks lovely! I'd like to get my remaining hexies pieced (down to five, I think), another scarf finished (or at least halfway there!) and my Stained QAL quilt finished. Oh, and a really simple runner for my mam's dining table...the rest can wait!

Katy Cameron said...

Good luck with that list! I have a whole quilt to start and finish in the next 28 days, oh and work to go to for a chunk of them - eek!

Meg said...

Glad I'm not the only one with a list like that! I actually have been working on getting some sshh done--two quilts and a pillow finished in the last week. There's one quilt that's currently sitting around as blocks, waiting to be finished--that's a "gotta do" by Xmas. I'm actually hoping to finish a couple of quilt tops to go out to Sarah after the first of the year--that will be my present to myself! Happy sewing, Katy!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive