Monday, 26 November 2012

getting the ssshh done

House of Barizzy

I love the giant star tutorial from Jeni's blog. It's fast, it's simple and it's always really effective. It finishes up at a really nice size, but you can add borders to make it bigger like I did with this velveteen one early this year (when the field study velveteens come out I'm making one for me, with flannel as the background. Oh yes). I really want to try the color hex quilt in the New Year too, that is also a lovely simple and fast quilt with great effects. I have a stack of Indie by Pat Bravo for Art Gallery fabrics I'd like to use for it. But no new quilts til the New Year - those are the rules. I have to finish up my ssshh first and I'm sticking to it!

Long Arm Chris used a pantograph called square dance for this quilt, which goes perfectly with those art deco style geometric prints in Splendor 1920. (you can get 25% off any order from Fat Quarter Shop until Thursday this week using the code jingle on checkout - they have the full Splendor range too!)

close up of quilting



I've bought at least a bit from each collection Bari has designed, from when she was at Windham Fabrics through Lecien and now Art Gallery. I'm a huge fan of her style and her designs. It sometimes surprises me, because they can be quite floral and vintage and not what I would necessarily say is 'my style', but each and every time a new collection comes out I see the sneak peeks and I'm all over them, like a rash. My Hexy MF (the second one that's almost finished, but not quite because I got slack and fell behind) is made from Lillybelle, Bari's first collection for Art Gallery fabrics. Yeh, I'm a fan girl.

Because of the way the giant star is made, I have enough of the same prints to make a second - I really want to make it with a completely different background, something warm. I'm a bit stuck on what though. Trudi suggested kona mango, which I must admit is a lovely colour and is tickling my fancy. I don't know though, maybe something creamier would be better? Any ideas?

Quilt deets;
finished size approx 60" square
pattern - giant star by Jeni B (free tutorial on her blog)
fabrics - kona pepper and Bari J Ackerman Splendor 1920 for Art Gallery Fabrics


21 comments:

red in oz said...

Love the scale of this one. I think a king sized quilt with four giant stars would look fabulous too.

Mandalin said...

I haven't actually see any Splendor 1920, but I'd probably go for something like Kona Rich Red.

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's stunning!

Trudie said...

I want to make this. Yours is awesome. I won't start until I get some of my shhh done as well.

pennydog said...

Mango sounds lovely!

Anna said...

I love this quilt. Such a great design with great colors! Mango could be fun. But something more neutral could work as well...I guess it depends on the effect you're going for? I know, I'm super helpful :)

Jodi said...

much as I love your velveteen one, I love these fabrics even better! wow!

Elsa said...

Really love how such traditional blocks are being made so huge! This one is so lovely and that it has velveteen in it is wonderful ~ (I love velveteen)!

giddy99 said...

It is GLORIOUS! Love the colors, the black, everything!

Carla said...

I swooned when I first saw your quilt. I love it!

Flying Blind... said...

shhhhhuper shhhnuggly x

heart of charnwood said...

Looks fab, what about some kind of texty fabric background, but not one of the pale background texts, something with a red background maybe, like the sarah jane out to sea ABC fabric, or one of the gray background text fabric. Or maybe not, I'm not much help, sorry! : )

diane said...

this is a beautiful finish and I love the way Chris quilted it.

Trudi said...

Kona Butter or Kona Apricot? Lol. So many choices!

Marian Griffin said...

Looks wonderful!! I've been oogling this line too and love what you picked to do with it! Gorgeous, and the velveteen and flannel one sounds delicious : )

Anonymous said...

Hello, I enjoy reading all of your article post.

I like to write a little comment to support you.
My web blog - how to download movies

mascanlon said...

Well I'd be afraid the mango would steel the show. How about one of the soft sagely greens? I am working hard to finish up some gifts but then I am going for a new quilt for me between the 25th and the 1st with AMH's Field Study, I can't wait to use.

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, love the quilting on this, and the velveteen/flannel one sounds amazing, so soft and snuggly...

CathyK said...

I really like this quilt!!!

Marit said...

Its gorgeous - love it!!!

Tracy said...

I love this!! So beautiful!

Mango would be wonderful. There is a bright lighter blue in the prints that would be neat as a solid background.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive