Wednesday, 7 November 2012

I'm a lucky cat

hello kitty

Amy is my friend, she is an awesome friend because when we went to Quilt Market all the way back in May she brought me this quilt top. In return I brought her 2 spring carnival pillows. I still feel I got the better part of the deal, but don't tell her that.

Hello kitty <3 you

It's taken me forever to get it finished (I say me - all I did was sew on the binding. Long Arm Chris did the quilting in a cherry blossom and baptist fan pattern which seemed perfect for Hello Kitty, with her being Japanese and all). I used a moda dotty extra wide for the backing. I still love those extra wides, and the lime is a great colour. (Have you seen that Brenda has Henry Glass solids in hot pink and orange in 108" wide? They're beautiful and great quality too. Plus use SOLIDS15 for 15% off until November 26th)
I'm sorry the photos are so crappy, there's a lot of white in Hello Kitty, and I am not taking any chances of mud. Until it stops being a windy mud bath over here Lil Miss Kitty is not venturing out into the dangerous world of potentially artsy pictures. The clothes line was as adventurous as we could go.

I love @sukie80

Since I finished the binding, this has been my lap quilt, only mine (ok, mine and Snoop's, he's allowed on it too). Every time I look at it I'm reminded how amazing the community we are part of is - where else would you find someone that you had never physically met before, that you hadn't spoken to all that much who was willing to (actually offered to) make you a ridiculously time consuming quilt with hundreds and hundreds of tiny little individual squares. You wouldn't find anyone in any other area of life, it is this community alone - I won't make quilts for my real life friends and family unless they really pester me (and even then it's a chore, lemme tell you).

So - Amy - thank you, I love you (you know that), you are amazing and wonderful and an excellent friend.

Whilst we are on the subject of Amy and her awesomeness, she is hosting the Ruby Star Wrap Along on her blog. Go find out more about it, you'll want to play along. You will want to get the book too - I have it and I think it's genius.


Ruby Star Wrap-Along

32 comments:

Swedish Scrapper said...

Oh wow, the rest of the story! I have been admiring this quilt top-- it looks so awesome when you see the prints up closer! Of course, you see it really close, so that is the most awesome, eh? Thanks for the tips about 108" orange and pink too! I was just getting another order ready and that would be great to add.

Aylin (Nilya2011) said...

:) You are so right. What a wonderful ode to our sewing community!!! And what a wonderful present!

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

SOOO gorgeous! Love the quilting too!
Also very in love with your sofa :)

Marla said...

That quilting works great for Hello Kitty. I love the border too.

Karen said...

That is fantastic!

alobsiger said...

Lucky, lucky devil! What a swell quilt!

Sarah Ashford said...

Wow this is fabulous! Was it based on a cross stitch pattern I wonder? What a whole world of possibilities there could be there...albeit time consuming ones! And yes you are right, the quilting community is wonderful. I often much rather make something for my online friends who I haven't met, than my*real* friends who have no idea how much love and care goes into making a quilt.

Charlotte said...

that's fantastic! You are so right about the desire to make things for like-minded people rather than ungrateful family members. I have vowed never again!

heart of charnwood said...

Wow, that is lovely and so true about appreciation from our community! My little girl would never let me keep that, it would be swiped in minutes. Ange x

diane said...

I followed along as Amy made this quilt. It was a huge endeavor and so I know you feel the love it represents. You are right, this community of quilters and bloggers is amazing. I am proud to be a part of it. Amy is a riot and a sweet person.

sukie said...

You know I text'd you but I love you too woman and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

It's kind of funny - but I remember how we connected on twitter and it was on a day that you felt glum about something or another. And I was determined to make you smile. I found a youtube video of a dog that couldn't get up: http://youtu.be/5L28TM48bF0

And fr there we were buddies! I can't wait to see you again and will always your buddy.

xoxo
sukie

Kara @me_and_elna said...

I kinda wanna marry this quilt.

Lisa said...

I'll say it again but this quilt is just ace. You're a lucky cat indeed :)

Sarah Russett said...

I waaaaaaant the pattern. (I'm whining). Lol

Addie said...

Love this!!! Great job! I want to make one for my great niece!

IzzyR said...

OMG!! I love Hello Kitty , what an awesome quilt how clever you are!!

Audrie said...

Amy is the best :)

Flying Blind... said...

I was so sad the HK big wigs wouldn't let Amy do the quiltalong, the b'stards - but lucky lucky you x

SewBlinkey.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful quilt and it looks amazing on your couch!

Nicky said...

Have just finished four pixel skulls but this is way cuter!

Cherie said...

That is such a gorgeous quilt! How lucky to have come across it.

Mandalin said...

oh wow! you are a one lucky, lucky woman!!! Ack, I want a lalaloopsy one now!

Tiara said...

Wowweee, this is amazing! This quilt would be come a part of my appendages as well

mascanlon said...

Adorable quilt, I do love this community!

Dana said...

omg, omg, omg! I love this and I need to have one!!! It is so fabulous!!!! You ARE a lucky cat!!

Dorothee said...

How cute is that quilt!?

Annabella said...

Totally get the family and friends v bloggy friends thing. The quilting corner of the blogosphere is very soft and squishy. That quilt is quite amazing!

Kelli said...

This is so totally amazing that I am jealous.

Katy Cameron said...

Well hello kitty, aren't you pretty? Okay, I'll stop talking to the quilt now, promise! Love all the teeny squares in this.

peacedgoods said...

it makes we want to cry!

Jodie said...

oooh jealous...and i got an answer...and answer was yes! May? Portland?

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

Amy is great and the quilt is fab. The quilting choice was perfect too! Lucky you!
Loved the fabric post today- lots of eye candy!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive