Tuesday, 27 November 2012

public service announcement

108" extra wide quilt backing by Henry glass from @justabitfrayed - I washed it on a hot wash with some wadding to see how much colour came out. Les than I expected for such a bright orange. (Wadding on left was washed with it. The other is colour referen

Brenda has a couple of Henry Glass 108" extra wide solid fabrics for quilt backs in the shop. I bought a couple of yards of the orange to stash with the rest of my 108" extra wides, because I like to have a heap on hand for all sizes of quilts. They're great for baby quilts - you can get a couple of quilt backs out of a yard or so, and obviously perfect for big quilts. (Read my post about extra wides from a while back if you haven't heard me wittering on about them before).

Every time I get a new kind I wash it with some wadding to test for colour fastness. The photo above is the fabric after being washed on a hot wash and dried in the tumble drier (before being ironed).

This orange is super strong and I was really impressed with how little it bled (the wadding on the left is what was in the washer, the other wadding is unwashed for colour reference). After washing the fabric was similar to kona softness, it was a little stiffer before but washed really nicely. And I've since ironed it, and it ironed beautifully too.

All round thumbs up, I think. Definitely worth the purchase and when I get my monthly allowance (yes, I'm not joking - I get pocket money from my husband) I'll buy some of the hot pink colour and test that out too. It's my public service to you, I think, right?

Brenda is getting more of the dotties in and also moda bella solids in 108" sometime in December, you know I'll blog it when it happens. I am really obsessed with these 108s and can't get enough of them!!!


12 comments:

RuthDesigns said...

Goodness that's orange! I really do think you owe it to the quilting community to try the pink in a timely manner.

Monica said...

Hahaha...I get an "allowance" from my husband too!

diane said...

I love 108's for quilt backs. I hope the fabric companies start making more. I buy sheets when I want a one piece backing.

Samantha said...

That didn't bleed much at all! We also do allowance he gets more than I do since he is the one bringing home the bacon. Otherwise he'd spend all the money on gadgets and I'd spend all the money on fabric and we'd never get to eat. :D

Nita said...

Oh, hahaha! I've been angling for an allowance for awhile! I don't want to spend the house money. I want my own fun fund!

Library Gal Quilts said...

love 108 inch fabrics. We have a shop nearby that has them and sometimes they are as little as $6.50 a yard!

mascanlon said...

I bought lots of the dotty the first time you blogged. I finished the tops too, now just need to get them quilted! And yes, it's a public service for sure!

ThirdMargaret said...

How helpful of you! Did you toss in a color catcher or just be all daring as part of the experiment? Wouldn't it be nifty if we could get at least some Kona colors in 108?

Annabella said...

Yes, kona colours in 108!!

bob said...

Love seeing what you make Katy...108's are a fabulous item to help us move along with our quilts!

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, more dotties coming you say, must start stalking the site...

Jeana said...

Hah myself AND my husband get an allowance - that way I can buy fabric and he can get whatever-he-buys-I-truly-have-no-idea and we don't have to worry about it. I actually recently changed the designation to "fun money" on our budget because
"allowance" seemed too much like I am raising my husband...

at any rate, thank you for this it's great to know! I really appreciate your posts about how fabrics look and feel - I think it's SO wonderful to be able to shop online because I can access soooo many beautiful things, but it can be hard because the color can be off or the fabric might not be as soft as I want! I love to read your insights, it helps me to decide about all those fabrics that I NEED.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive