Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Sizzix Quilting Blog Hop

I think it's pretty widely accepted that I love my Sizzix big shot machine. I use it for cutting scraps a lot and my 2.5" square die is probably used as much as I use the bread knife or kettle. It's become as essential in my day as both of those! I'm not even kidding.

So when Sizzix asked if I'd be part of their Quilting Blog Hop I was really excited. I knew exactly what I wanted to make and exactly which dies I wanted to use. You can follow along with the hop this week, and enter the competition to win a big shot and dies of your very own!


Monday 19th November - Angela Southey
Tuesday 20th November - Tacha Bruecher/Fat Quarterly
Wednesday 21st November - Katy Jones - you are here!!!!
Thursday 22nd November - Hadley Gordon
Friday 23rd November - Lynne Goldsworthy
Saturday 24th November - Lory Bucaria

To be in with a chance of winning a Big Shot machine and a selection of quilting dies worth over £130, click here! Closing date: Wednesday 28th November 2012 at 10am GMT.


It's also pretty widely accepted I love english paper piecing, and when Sizzix brought out the hexagon dies I was in my element. I love to hand sew, but the cutting part is always a bit of a pain, even with acrylic templates and pre-cut papers. The Sizzix dies take away the boring cutting and you can really speed up the process, to leave you more time for sewing. An all round win, I think!

snowflake pillow

For my project I used the hexagon die with 1" sides (658317) to cut my papers and the bigger 1.25" hexagon die (658318) to cut my fabrics.
I cut a total of 43 printed fabric hexagons (42 in aqua and 1 in a white text print for the very centre of the snowflake) using the 1.25" hexagon die.
I also cut 43 1" hexagon from floriani stitch n wash (see below), but you could use paper as is more traditional with english paper piecing - printer paper, old bills, takeaway menus or leaflets that come through the door - any of these kinds of paper are fine.
Background fabric - 18" square (white)

Here's a little trick - instead of using paper for my hexagons I used floriani stitch n wash fusible so I didn't have to remove my papers before I appliqued my pieced snowflake onto the background fabric. Clever, huh? The soluble 'papers' will just wash away when I wash the cushion cover. I spoke a little bit about this last week with a couple of useful links too, so go check out that blogpost if you're interested. I'm completely sold on this trick now, and as you can see in the pic below, I'm using it to make more hexagons - this time in green!!!!

hexy time

If you're new to the idea of english paper piecing you might want to check out my quilt along on Fat Quarterly from earlier this year. There's all kinds of tips on basting, cutting and appliqueing. You might find it useful!

Using scraps in various aqua shades (because I thought traditional Christmassy colours was a little too obvious, and I might want to keep this cushion out all year round!) I pieced a simple snowflake pattern, that reminded me of those paper snowflakes you can make with your kids. Use the diagram below as a reference for the layout.

snowflake diagram

I left out a few little windows (shown in grey on the diagram above) instead of piecing in extra white hexagons, as I knew I would get the same effect when I appliqued the pieced snowflake onto the 18" background square.

I added a border which was cut using the 2.5" strip die (657633) then sewn top and bottom, and either side of the white background square and I quilted just around the border to keep everything together, but without taking attention away from the piecing. I then added a simple envelope opening to make my finished piece into a cushion.

The finished cushion is approximately 22".

snowflake pillow

For more information about the Sizzix patchwork and quilting range, click here 

21 comments:

Lisa said...

Ahh beautiful design. Love e colours too. I'm very much hoping Father Christmas will be bring me some hexies to play with in the new year :) unless I win of course ;)

Louise said...

Love, love, love the snowflake design! I put my hand up to do the Amitie Christmas window and I was thinking cushions - this is perfect! I hope you are okay with that idea :) I also love the whole floriani idea - it would be just the thing for my Bauble quilt with all the circles. Nice job!!

Louise said...

Love, love, love the snowflake design! I put my hand up to do the Amitie Christmas window and I was thinking cushions - this is perfect! I hope you are okay with that idea :) I also love the whole floriani idea - it would be just the thing for my Bauble quilt with all the circles. Nice job!!

Jodi said...

Wow, that looks fantastic! love the quilt on your couch, and the kitty. Mine used to do that to the same kind of couch and now the cushion is squished in and won't come back up. We miss our little Lacey :-(

Swedish Scrapper said...

Lovely pillow! And beautiful photo with kitty, as always. I went to the Sissex site and it looks so exciting! I'd love to try out one of those, and my wrists would thank me too I bet!

M-R said...

Love it! Great job!

Marla said...

Hate to break it to you but that couch needs more quilts, pillows and kitties. The hexagon snowflake is a great idea, its got my wheels turning.

Judith, Belfast said...

Beautiful cushion K! Great idea using the fusible! Do you fuse it with an iron? More sizzix dies are def. on my Christmas list!Jxo

Darcy said...

Thank you so much for the chance to win. I love your new cushion and can't wait to make one of my own (hopefully with my new Big Shot)!

Flying Blind... said...

Nice one Cyril x

Kay said...

I love your cushion, it is in my favourite colours. EPP is my favourite form of sewing and boy would I love a machine to cut up all those pesky pieces!

Elsa said...

Oh, a lovely addition to all your pillows and quilts ~ the window to your garden is lovely too. I've been wanting to try out a Sizzix but haven't seen any anywhere to try. Guess I haven't tried hard enough (teehee).

Valerie said...

A snowflake, such a perfect use for those hexies, I am definitely going to try one of my own!

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love it! I really hope it's my name they pull out of the hat!

Nicky said...

That's a right quilty sofa you have there Katy ! The cushion looks perfect just got to stick a Santa hat on your cat!

Katy Cameron said...

I love my Big Shot, but I've not got round to buying any of the quilting dies yet, I really must get to that! The shops I came across in the US were out of any of them :o(

Loving your snowflake cushion though

Rosa said...

Just beautiful.Great job!

Terri said...

I love this Katy... SEW much!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Random question: is it still really that green there or did you take this pic a while ago?

Celtic Thistle said...

Love your cushion the Big Shot is definitely on my wish list!

paLLina said...

wow!! good job!! i will like to do nice staff... i just love my big shot it is the best!!
by paLLina

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive