Thursday, 13 December 2012

chilly

Winter has finally arrived. I know this because I can no longer see the sky, there's a grey blur from the horizon upwards. That's Winter in the UK - grey and more grey. My car is frozen in the morning (but sensibly for the first ever year I bought some defrost stuff for my windshield so I don't have to start the car an hour before I plan to leave the house). Last Winter I would drive to school most mornings with a small hole scraped out of the ice on the windshield and by the time I'd dropped Ginge off and got home the windshield was pretty much clear. None of that this year, thanks to my forward thinking (I'm quite proud of this, you might be able to tell).

Even though it's bitterly cold there's no snow, just a lot of frost. Frost is better than snow because I can still actually leave the house and drive about. The bad weather provision in these parts is pathetic, and the country comes to a standstill with the slightest dusting of snow. (I can picture the Brits reading this nodding and muttering about the state of the roads and the lack of gritters).

winter

Scrap vomit part 4 is finished and washed and finally photographed.

another one

Sarah in upstate New York quilted this one for me, and I love how it turned out. I think it's my favourite so far. It's crinkled up amazingly well after washing. The backing fabric was a Dan Bennett for Free Spirit print from Sew Fresh Fabrics in the clearance section. This particular colour is sold out, but there are other prints and each of them would make amazing quilt backs.

I say this is my favourite so far, because I have more planned (I have enough scraps for many, many more) and I'm hoping to gather enough Christmassy scraps to make us a Christmas one in time for next year. And I have one to make for a dear, dear friend in time for Spring Quilt Market. You can never have too many scrap vomit quilts, can you?


32 comments:

Kelsey said...

Never! Love this one!! Making a scrap vomit is one of my goals for 2012! I even added a sizzix to my christmas list to make the cutting faster :)

Bettie Barnes said...

Gorgeous - as usual!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

So many scraps, so little time

Mrs Yoastie said...

Wow it's so cool. I must make one.

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

You'll be covered in vomit!! This is another beautiful one :)
Oh and the roads...grumble, grumble, what about the pavements? If it rains I'm not even stepping outside!!

dolores said...

Major frosty morning today here in Virginia too...lovely...especially since I didn't have to go out!

Your Scrap Vomit quilt is my go-do suggestion at work when people wonder what to do with all their scraps. After they look at me oddly, I Google up a photo and they nod approvingly!;)

Marit said...

Gorgeous!!!
I think a Christmas one is a great idea. Haven't made one, yet - but I am working on gathering those 2.5" squares...

; )

Carla said...

I think they are gorgeous! Not sure how you piece them so quickly.......

Trudi said...

Never enough! Christmas cutting frenzy continues! I ought to do one! One day!

Elsa said...

I don't think one can have too many scrap vomit quilts ~ how do you do them so fast?
It's gotten cold here too ~ staying in the low 40's with a bit of wind makes it really cold. I recently got my hair cut short and my ears freeze all the time! Of course, I can't wear a hat or it will mush my curly hair ~ vanity I know ~ but what's a girl to do?

Nicky said...

Definitely and finally getting round to making at least one of these next year!

Cheryl Arkison said...

I helped a friend baste a charm quilt the other day. It reminded me that I have a box of 2000 charms from a Y2K swap. Must find them and add it to the WIP list!
I do never get tired of seeing these.

Karen said...

Agree - cannot have enough! It turned out lovely but I totally adore the shot of the berries you posted - great contrast :)

Archie the wonder dog said...

I never tire of seeing SV quilts!
P.S. I've just come in from walking Archie and my hair is frozen!

Nanette Merrill said...

If only ALL vomit looked so beautiful.

Katy Cameron said...

Och, Southern softies, we got snow 2 weeks ago, and I've been walking to work in Yak Tracks ever since to save me from last year's embarrassing arse over the proverbial incident ;o)

You've vomit's found a lovely place to hang out though

RuthDesigns said...

You'll have to make one for Ralph, Huey and their mate Barf ;)

Isisjem said...

I'm so with you on the snow front. Really I'm not constitutionally strong enough for winter. The scrap vomit quilt is gorgeous. I really must make one of these in the new year - although I don't relish cutting up all those scraps to size!

CarolT said...

I take it you don't have a garage for your car? We got snow here where I live in Michigan Sunday and the roads were terrible. Fine now. I love all of your scrap vomit quilts. I think I'll have to make one.

Flying Blind... said...

I have been scraping the ice off the car at 7am all week in minus 4, really wakes me up (and pisses me off!) for the rest of the day x

mascanlon said...

Genius...a Christmas scrap vomit. But what about my Halloween, Easter, Valentines even St pat scraps? hmm... I think I am starting a new scrap sort.

Sara said...

Stay warm friend:)

HillyFilly said...

Love the idea of a Christmas Vomit... Maybe a Christmas Fabric Swap should be on the cards?

Nic said...

We had two days of blue sky and crisp weather, one with really heavy frost. I love that, it's my favourite winter weather. Now it's gry and becoming milder, boo.
Beautiful photos. Love the setting for your quilt

Issabella The Cat said...

Isn't that what Tesco club card things are for? Mine only gets used to chisel an 8"x8" hole through the windshield ice on a morning .
Love this SV quilt :D

Collette said...

that is one darling quilt I love it so much! Well done on the forward planning for defrosting the car! the school run can be hard in the winter can't it x

Tina said...

Here, here! I love these SV quilts and have been inspired to contemplate (if not commit to!) making one of my own!!

diane said...

Glad I don't have to pick a favorite. I need to make one too.

Martha said...

I love scrap quilts. Yours is gorgeous. I need to make one.

Dan R said...

Lovely lovely quilt. But that is a gorgeous wall. I first wondered if that was at the quilter's in NY, but then I saw the binding. I helped a friend build a similar wall at his farm in upstate NY, 4' wide at the base, 6' tall. The stones looked like that (stones don't look like that in California).

Lisa said...

Brilliant, I have nowhere near enough scraps, but at the rate I'm buying new fabrics I should have soon. This is one of my goals quilts once I have those scraps :)

Julie said...

Katy
what would you think of setting up a 2.5" square christmas fabrics swap so that we could collect more fabrics sooner

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive