Monday, 10 December 2012

christmas gift making

I'm working on a budget this year, and I've cut right back on what I would normally spend on people. This has made me think a little more, which is no bad thing.

christmas gift making

So far I've finished 3 sets of gifts; 2 for the girls  - a wash bag with either a shop bought wash cloth with a little hexagon appliqued on (by me)

christmas gift making

or some handmade crocheted cotton wash cloths (that I bought from etsy), a smaller zipped pouch and some handmade soap bars

christmas gift making

And 1 boy gift of a flannel wash bag, face cloth (again with a little hexagon appliqued on), a soap bar and some shaving soap. I really cannot recommend this shop on etsy high enough. I bought the shaving soap from here, and the wooden soap dish and she sent me a whole heap of samples as well. I'll definitely be going back again for more.

christmas gift making

I also bought some goats milk soaps from this shop, which aren't heavily scented like the shaving soap (I wanted some very gentle soap as well). I really like the look and feel of their soap, and service was great here too. So if you fancy putting together some quick and inexpensive gifts think about giving these UK based sellers a try.

For US people looking for similar sellers - I really recommend Dana at Old Red Barn Co, she makes some delicious goats milk based soaps and amazing sugar scrubs with a heap of different scents.



I'm really pleased with these little sets, I tried to think specifically about what kind of skin type each person has and what kind of scent they may like. I think the recipients will be happy with them (I hope so!) It's always so hard to judge what is a good or bad handmade gift. There's a long list of people in my family that are not handmade gift types, and I know not to try and force the issue with them. Some people just don't want that kind of thing, and that's totally fine with me. It's not my place to try and thrust craft down their throats, just the same as I would not like to have someone's political or religious opinions thrust down my throat.


22 comments:

Leanne said...

One day I want to make soap, those all look so lovely as are the bags and cloths. Great idea.

emedoodle said...

cute gifts! :) I am spoiled that my aunt is a lifetime crafter - and she's trained my whole family to love handmade gifts! :)

Cille said...

In my family handmade gifts rule :) I think your packs are super cute. What a great idea.

Jo Jo said...

These are great, I really love the crocheted face cloths! Have you seen these oilcloths here http://vivalafrida.co.uk/warmoilclothpack.html? I keep resisting, but these would look great made up as your wash bags! I love handmade gifts and I'm sure yours will go down very well!

Di said...

These are just lovely. I have shamelessly copied you with the male flannel zippy pouch as you had blogged about how nice the flannels were. Di x

Nicky said...

Great choices - wishing you every success in getting to the bottom of that list!

Fiesta said...

So creative and such a wonderful idea.

Karen said...

What wonderful gifts, so thoughtful!

Christine said...

What a perfect gift! I would be so happy to be the recipient. Thanks for the links.

Archie the wonder dog said...

I'd be thrilled to receive such a thoughtful gift!

Mommarock said...

I love that you are making your gifts for people!! It is ever so much more thoughtful and personal. I am making Chalkboard picture frames for my friends and one for myself to put on my mantle. I got the frames at the consignment store, and repurposed them and made my own chalkboards for them. The frames are beautiful and I hope that they will see the beauty as well.

heart of charnwood said...

They all look like fabulous gifts- I wish more of my family would appreciate handmade gifts, but like you say it's not for everyone! : )

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

You, my dear, are a GEM. A shiny, bright, festive gem with nothing but goodness in your heart. I do believe that is why you are so well loved!

mascanlon said...

Wonder gifts Katy. this week I hope to try my hand at oilcloth pouches. ts been a while since I've done zippers so wish me luck!

Jenniffier Kramer said...

Very cute gifts!

Flying Blind... said...

Looking good there,but hoping your house doesn't have the air of Lush about it now though!

Katy Cameron said...

It all looks rather sumptuous! My family always get handmade, they've come to expect it, and it's a b*gger to come up with new and exciting things each year after you've been at it 15 or so years! I haven't tried this yet though...

Susie said...

wonderful gifts and so well thought out. I know I would love to receive something like that. I truly hope they enjoy and appreciate them.

peacedgoods said...

What a great idea! I will file this in my idea folder. My mom never liked home made stuff so I don't know how I got so crafty.

**nicke... said...

I love goat milk soap and really need to try Dana's!

SueB said...

Thanks for sharing with us. Just received some wonderful soaps and dishes and the smell is fantastic, and very quick service too.....just have to make some zippy bags to complete pressies.

Melanie said...

Thanks for mentioning my Etsy Shop in your Blog. I love the man's gift you made using the shaving soap and soap saver; great idea I hope it was appreciated.
Happy New Year!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive