Monday, 3 December 2012

indian summer



 indian summer

Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe is released this week. Eek! I can't wait to get my copy! I have a floppy temporary version that the lovely Karen Burns from Martingale gave me at Sewing Summit, but it doesn't have shiny glossy pages like a real book so I'm bored of it now and want a shiny real copy. Patience, Katy, patience - it will be here sooooooon.



The quilt I made in the book is a baby sized dresden plate called Indian Summer. Here's a funny tale. When I submitted my idea for the book I wanted to make a king size quilt. Obviously that would have been HUGE and involved 20 dresden plate blocks. We decided a baby sized quilt would be more sensible and achievable (and more photographable?) and so I made mine with 4 blocks. But I still had an itching to make more blocks and a big mama sized quilt, which resulted in this queen size version.

I finished this over a year ago. How the heck do you photograph a queen sized quilt without a photography studio and a photographers assistant? My assistant, Noodle, just falls asleep and looks pretty pissed when I ask him to move.

I tried to take this out with me to photograph and it almost blew away, so the trusty old couch got another styling job. Not bad for a couch that was destined for the dump and rescued by the husbeast. You can't see it brilliantly, but this is the best I could do. Sorry. Until I move to a sunnier, less windy climate or have a studio built into my garage my quilt photos are going to be kind of the same.

Both this quilt and the little version in the book were quilted by Tia Curtis, who is one of the funniest and funnest people in the world ever, and she quilts. She's awesome.

indian summer - close up


Edited to add - this quilt is now listed in my etsy shop

34 comments:

Hope said...

Love it! Gorgeous colours and gorgeous quilting.

Flying Blind... said...

Can't wait for the book, and the photoshoot looks cozy, like it should do x

Swedish Scrapper said...

Looking forward to the book! Your colors in this one are witty and fresh, absolutely Not staid. Love the marine blue and that border floral tying everything together. Whenever you sitch shoots, I'll misss your assistant and the fab sofa setting!

Swedish Scrapper said...

Switch, I mean, not sitch! Maybe the blue is really deep grey? Still love it,and the quilting. Nice start to the day!

Kate said...

I can't wait to see a real copy too! Love the queen sized version.

cat and vee xoxo said...

gorgeous, gorgeous, I love it a lot. just saw it on instagram, so nipped to the computer for a look. Really looking forward to the book coming out - it's on my (long, always growing) list, it looks awesome. Just finally bought Heather Ross' prints book (to give to my husband to give to me) for Christmas. And Ayumi's sweet book is on the list too. see you, Cat

Liv Storvik Harby said...

Great colors and cool design!

heart of charnwood said...

Beautiful as always. And you must be bonkers wanting to make all those Dresdens!! : )

Trudi said...

Gorgeous! Love the not so standard lamp too!

Lisa said...

That is beautiful, fear I will have the lovely shiny book under the Christmas tree, but not get much of a chance to sew from it for a while. I cam keep dreaming of making something so brilliant.

Charlotte said...

I saw your baby version at Market and fell in love with it. It's such a great design!

red in oz said...

Stunning!

Elsa said...

Just put my order in!
I love Indian Summer ~ the only reason I bought the book. Love the color combination and quilting. Excited to get the book!

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

I love your dresden plates quilt, Katy. Oddly, I started a contemporary dresden plate quilt using Kaffe about a week ago . . . .

Kara @me_and_elna said...

Effing beautiful!!! :)

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's a fabulous quilt and the book is now a much more reasonable price on Amazon, thank goodness!

the Campfollower said...

Such a fine looking quilt Katy! What a blast it was to quilt it for you.

Anna said...

This is such a gorgeous quilt! Beautiful!

Wendy said...

Your quilt is stunning and if I was not on a budget right now I would buy it! Just beautiful!

Sonia said...

You should be careful that Noodle doesn't get folded up in the quilt.....!!!!!! It's a beautiful quiltl. I.ve been admiring the the Dresden Plate for a while now...one to try next year I think!

Laura said...

That is a stunning quilt.

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, it looks fab, love the colours!

Spoolhardy Girl said...

This quilt... (Holy Shitballs, Katy!) ...AND Tia, are awesome!! For real!

Mama Pea said...

How cool! I will look for this book. It looks cool! Congratulations!

diane said...

it's beautiful. I'll be watching for the book

Danielle said...

Gorgeous, love the colours, might have something to do with the propensity of yours to use AMH's fabrics all together, which is always a great idea. Love the sashing too, makes everything pop. And looking forward to getting my hands on the book too! Looks awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Question Katy...Are you going to QuiltCon in Austin, Texas...in Feb. 2013?

Michelle said...

Holy crap. How has this quilt not even sold yet?? It's stunning, and I have to tell you I am so, so, SO tempted right now.

Beautiful work, Katie!

Michelle said...

You know I meant to type KATY and not Katie didn't you? Sorry. Massive brain fart.

Eva said...

beautiful quilt! I love the colours and the dresdens and the prints! I'll definitely check out the book!

AnyoneCanQuilt said...

This quilt is gorgeous!! It reminds me that I have a dresden quilt to finish...well, I actually only have one block done, but it's been the only block for a couple of years so... Thank you for the inspiration!! x

Bettie Barnes said...

I've pre-ordered my copy of Modern Quilts from the Blogging Universe - can't wait for it to be released. The Dresden Plate quilt (and the quilting) are gorgeous!

Kay said...

This is beautiful, well done You! I love dresdens so much but so far have done all mine with EPP so musthave go at machining them.

krishna yadav said...

It's so beautiful.. i love indian summer..!! We have collection of indian traditional clothes like sarees, wedding lehnga sarees, wedding lehnga sarees, salwar kameez, you should be go for G3 Fashions.It's a Best.
http://www.g3fashions.in/women/sarees/indian-bridal-designer-sarees/1-15-100.html

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive