Monday, 17 December 2012

scraps - you really are the best

Way back in August I asked you about your favourite scrap projects.  It was great to hear how you plan your scrappy projects (if at all). I love how so many of you are thinking about starting something scrappy but haven't yet. I was working on scrap vomit part 4 at the time.  I'm so happy to finally have it finished and washed and ready for use. I even made the first few blocks for scrap vomit number 5 the other day.  I have number 6 and 7 planned too (all 3 are for other people, we won't have a whole family of scrap vomit quilts in the house, although it'd be fun to get them all together for a photo shoot). Glutton for punishment? Yeh, I think so.


another one



My advice - just dive in, find a pattern you like (this flickr group is a great source of inspiration) and make a block. Think of it as a long term project, maybe make new blocks every time you make something else - add those new scraps in with the old ones you already have and when you are finished I promise you, you'll love remembering all those projects.

A scrap quilt is unique, it's never going to have an identical twin, and it reads like a fabric diary of your stash. It's amazing how you can remember exactly where this, that or the other little snippet of fabric came from, whether it was a swap, or something you made yourself. It's part of the charm of a scrappy quilt.

Look at this beauty that Marla recently finished (that she named scrappysaurus rex - genius)....

Scrappasaurs Rex quilt top
(photo credit marla from flickr)

I've compiled a little list of tutorials and patterns that are perfect for scraps. I hope you enjoy  them!

Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville has a huge selection of amazing quilt block and quilt patterns that are scrap friendly. It's a one stop shop of awesomeness.

Spiderweb block from Marit is my favourite spiderweb tutorial and doesn't involve paper foundations

Jolene has the granny square tutorial and an amazing jacobs ladder quilt that makes me weak at the knees every time I look at it

Jodie at Pleasant Home has a tutorial for sewing scraps together

Brenda's Bust Yo Scraps quilt along is on my list of must makes for next year (check out the quilts in the flickr group)

made in cherry is a perfect scrap quilt and the quilt along on pins and bobbins offers a variety of sizes as well as Sarah's original version

Sunday Morning Quilts is the PERFECT book for scrap quilt making. If you don't already own it, please remedy that as soon as possible. Here it is on Amazon.uk and .com

scrap vomits...so far

and (of course) you could always make your own scrap vomit. Careful though, they're addictive....







19 comments:

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

I have promised myself to make one scrap quilt a year. 1st one was a postage stamp one and the 2nd one is a Bottled Rainbow (which I finished the top this weekend). I am in the process of selecting my next one and you have thrown a few more into the mix. High on my list is this one http://happyquiltingmelissa.blogspot.com.au/ Only time will tell which one I go with :o)

heart of charnwood said...

Do you have any idea how long it has taken me to finish this post, I've been flitting around to different blogs, and seen some more amazing quilts, and quite frankly, now i'm having a panic attack as there are so many more quilts i want to make, and soooo little time! So please stop telling me about them, well, actually don't i love seeing them, but still my head might explode soon with all of the extra whirring around my brain is doing. I love Sunday Morning Quilts and have promised myself I will make something from it next year. : )

Nicky said...

Excellent post Katy - I so agree and now I'm cutting charm squares from every fabric I buy just so I can use them! For some reason I don't like cutting up the big bits!

Scraps and old stash are my target for 2013!

excuseme23 said...

Great post, I love scrap quilts, have recently finished a "Sunday Morning Quilt", a postage stamp and am currently working on a log cabin with around 60 different fabrics in it. I think they work so well and by the way, I love your blog.

Katy Cameron said...

I'm going for a mod mosaic with mine, glad I could help your vomit along anyway, it looks great!

doodlebugmom said...

Scrap quilts are my very favorite :)

Tiara said...

This post will definitely be an invaluable resouce for some time to come!

Julierose said...

Thanks you so much for these wonderful places to visit--I LOVE scrappy quilts and am in the midst of making myself a "Vomit aka re-gurg-i-tate" stash basher quilt and a scrappy flying geese a la Bonnie Hunter style...Isn't it terrific how you can find so many wonderful ideas on blogs? It's a great Christmas present to your readers...Happiest of Holidays Julierose

Marla said...

Thanks for the shout out! I almost spit out my cereal when I saw my quilt to p here. Scrap quilts are the best. I love how random colors and prints mix and match in ways you would never try.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Thanks for the shout out lady!
Still thinking about those Y2K charms...

Catherine said...

Oooh, thanks for all those suggestions. Makes me want to start now, but I MUST finish my double wedding ring quilt 1st!

Archie the wonder dog said...

I can't be the only one who's now itching to get out the scrap boxes and get sewing...must finish something, anything, first though!

CathyK said...

Great sites! Thank you!

Suz said...

Great ideas for scraps - love them! What is your favourite accent colours out of the scrap vomit quilts you've made?

Tina said...

Thanks for the links! I was so inspired by your last post about scrap vomit quilts, that I organized and colour coded all my scraps!

Nanette Merrill said...

You make me want to stop christmas and go awol to make this quilt!

Valerie said...

Must. Get enough. Scraps. To make. Scrap vomit quilt!!!

Esch House Quilts said...

You are making me want to dump all my current projects and cut up little squares!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I love scrap quilts! Thanks for all the links I'm off to make a cup of tea and then have a good read through :o)...Ah what a lovely way to spend a Sunday morning while the family sleeps in :o)

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive