Saturday, 1 December 2012

what's new, American pussycat?

Pinch punch it's the first of the month!!!

Happy December everyone. Can you believe it's December already? No, me neither. How's your Christmas shopping going on? I'm spending the weekend wrapping gifts and putting them under the tree (yep, we put our tree up already, it's early and it'll be shedding needles in a week but I am so excited about Christmas this year!)

Brenda at Pink Castle Fabrics has a little pre-christmas treat for those of you dying to get your hands on Saltwater by Tula Pink. There's 10% off pre-orders using the code PRESALE10. Saltwater is due to ship to Brenda around the 7th of this month, and so it'll be here in time for Christmas. You deserve it, right?


Saltwater is like an updated and improved version of Neptune, which was Tula's most popular ever collection (weirdly Neptune was my least favourite, it didn't have enough colour for me, but it was and still is crazily loved by most people. I'm just the odd one out). I really love Saltwater, you can see how far Tula has come as a designer with this collection and the colours are beautiful - lots of the blue grey tones of Neptune but with the corals and greens that remind me of Prince Charming.

New in at Pink Castle is Lucky Penny by Alison Glass. For those of you that love Lizzy House's pearl bracelets, Alison has a fantastic 'dot' alternative called bike path. It's part stripe, part dot, part wavy chevron almost. I have a feeling there'll be a whole collection of this print at some point in the future. It's going to stick around for some time and just grow with more and more amazing colours. At present there are 9 colours, and all are fantastic. They're a definite must add to your stash of basics and blenders.


I bought a load of $5/yard sale fabrics for quilt backings that arrived this week. It's always good to stock up on great value fabrics when you can. There's a lot in the sale section, and the $5/yard section is my favourite. LOADS to choose from. In case you're interested, I bought flower bed by Josephine Kimberling and a Lizzy House print that I finished the bolt of (I love finishing the bolts, so that next time I visit I can go 'oh - I cleaned you out of that. Nice!) I really love that Modern Meadow by Joel Dewberry is on sale at $5/yard. Great prints there for quilt backs (or pillowcases, or anything really! When it's that cheap you'd be daft not to by a whole heap!) Brenda even has a few fabrics on sale at $4/yard. That's basically free.

PLUS there's a new coupon for you for this weekend, so use it right away. It's INVENTORY20 for 20% off everything that's in stock INCLUDING THE ALREADY REDUCED STUFF!!!! (so $5/yard sale fabric becomes $4/yard. Oh my word!)
Brenda needs to make room for the new stuff that's coming over the next few weeks, so head on over to the shop and stock up now. There's so much new stuff in right now you could grab some absolute bargains. To name but a few there's Pop Posies, Notting Hill, simply color, stamped, ruby star sparkle, odds and ends....I could go on all day!


Over at Fat Quarter Shop, Camp Modern is in. If you haven't seen this new collection from Birch you've missed a trick - it's really fantastic. It's modern, it's masculine, and it's organic.



Elizabeth Hartman has put together a really cool bundle using co-ordinating prints and solids. That's a quilt planned out all in one pack. Thanks Elizabeth, you're a gem.



From the modern masculinity of Camp Modern, here's the soft romantic girliness of Ostara.


Dear Stella are rocking it right now. They've come from nothing a year ago (or so), and keep pushing collection after collection of really great lines, with amazing co-ordinates. Like the confetti dots from Play Date. That dot is a perfect dot - I'd love to see a whole line of just this dot in a whole variety of colours.


The Stella Solids are also a really great collection. Available as both a FQ bundle and yardage. The colours are lovely, the quality really good and they have a really nice handle to them.



Speaking of great solids (not strictly solid-solids, but thereabouts). I got a FQ stack of the Riley Blake shaded cottons from Sew Me A Song this week.


These are a little bit like Michael Miller painter's canvas, and a little bit like Moda grunge. They're amazing. You actually need to see them up close to appreciate just how good they are, because they don't photograph as well as they are.

Phantom, granite, slate and cream are all pretty true to their 'real' colours in the pictures. Flamingo is a gorgeous lipstick pink that is much pinker and bubblegum (without being Barbie) in real life than it photographs. Fire engine is way more red than it's picture suggests. A kind of Santa red, or the red paint from a children's paintbox. It's a really nice primary red. Night Time is a perfect navy - it looks a little washed out in the picture but it's much deeper than that, another excellent primary navy like a deep blue poster paint. Tangerine and sundrop are both really zingy sunshine colours. Vintage green reminds me of pistachios. It looks a little acidy in the pictures, but is less so in real life. And (finally!) teal is a little dirtier in real life.
New in are a heap of yuwa prints.

I think this one is my favourite of the bunch.



There's lot in the New Arrivals section at Sew Fresh Fabrics

Malka Dubrawsky's new line, Simple Marks is in stock


Simply Color by Vanessa of V& Co


The dotty ombres are amazing in real life. Worth a half yard purchase at least (you need a half yard at least, for the full ombre effect). The dots run across the full width of the fabric - in an ombre effect (funnily enough, them being called ombre dots and all). They make great clothing for little girls, throw pillows, pillowcases. I'd love to see them cut up and made into a simple patchwork, just to see the effect. I think it'd be fun to see.


Lola Pink fabrics has some fun new arrivals.

These prints from Robert Kaufman are perfect for little boy projects. Would this make a great crib set? Or PJ pants?


They also have a great range of the fantastic value spot on collection from Kaufman.

I love these dots. They're priced so well (at only $7/yard) and really are


There's some amazing bargains to be had in the clearance section.

For example.....

......this Dear Stella print from the yard sale collection is on sale at 40% off ($6.15) but if you buy 3 yards or more the price drops again to $5.52


Here's another....

on sale with 40% off at $6.30....by 3 or more yards and the price drops again to $5.67


Both of those would make the most amazing quilt backs, and you know how much I like to stock up on  those, don't you? Or you could make really big drawstring bags for Christmas gifts. I'd love to see a heap of those under the tree, all co-ordinated and matching. Jeni's drawstring bag pattern is worth the $6.50 for the math all done for you already. If you don't have this pattern already, buy it. You'll thank me. There's the free tutorial here and here if you really can't afford the pattern.

Plus US shipping is never more than $5 and international shipping is low too ($13.50 to this side of the pond). Fill up those flat rate envelopes, people!

9 comments:

heart of charnwood said...

Oh you naughty temptress, I managed to keep my eyes averted for all of those bargains in the past few weeks, and then you sneak in with virtually free fabric, and my little brain is whirring with new project ideas, damn you! : )

heart of charnwood said...

Little questions, any idea who (if anyone) in the UK has Sketch fabric in Charcoal?? or something that looks similar??

mascanlon said...

You are so annoying......I have already ordered like a mad quilter with all great sales this week and here you are tempting me again!

Ann Michelle said...

Now you've done it! I've gone and purchase entirely too much at Pink Castle! I shall pass your name to the husband when he realizes this! haha Good thing there is a large "pond" and half a continent between us! :)

Trudi said...

gotta love virtually free fabrics for backs! :)

Mama Pea said...

I love the camp modern fabric. I saw it somewhere else recently and fell in love. I must have it!

Anonymous said...

Now I am going away to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming yet again to read other
news.
Visit my web page : start your own home business

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, what a webpage it is! This webpage provides useful information to us, keep it up.
Check out my web blog :: Bibliotekr.Dk

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's what I was looking for, what a material! present here at this weblog, thanks admin of this web site.
Feel free to surf my webpage :: discount car insurance

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive