Wednesday, 30 January 2013

#scrappytripalong progress

My first scrappy trips quilt is all finished - quilted, bound and about to get a little soak and crinkle before use.
I couldn't be happier with the finished quilt. Trudi did a wonderful job quilting it, with a rainbow variegated thread, and I bound it with my favourite leopard print from Field Study.

it's a rainbow!

The sunshine and snow is proving to make photographs a bit tricky - it looks incredibly bright here (it is pretty bright to be fair)

scrappy trip along - Love!

I've also pieced a back for the Denyse Schmidt Chicopee Trips version using some Chicopee Corduroy.

chicopee trips in the snow

The corduroy was a joy to use - it behaves in a similar way to both the flannel and velveteen, probably somewhere between the 2. I used a generous 1/2" seam allowance to control any potential fraying (although it didn't fray much at all).
I took a little while to decide how to piece this quilt back. I don't usually plan my quilt backs, and tend to either use single prints pieced with a centre seam, or extra wide fabric. I sketched out a few ideas for this, to see how best to use the yardage I had. At first I thought I'd make something like a giant block, but I was flipping through some books on the History of Quilts and I remembered when the Quilts exhibition was on at the V&A a few years ago. There was something that I'd particularly liked about the old quilts on display. Quilts often had 2 sides, one for regular use that was simply pieced from cheaper or more abundant fabrics and one fancy side that was for decoration. I love the idea of utility quilts - after all, as 'modern' quilters, that is pretty much what we all make. They may use fancy designer fabrics and cost a pretty penny to put together, but we make them for warmth, for comfort and to show other people we love them enough to make them a quilt.

So I made a really simply pieced square (well, it's a rectangle actually) in a square type of block using my corduroy. It's a perfect juxtaposition to the small squares of the scrappy trips front, and adds an amazing texture to the quilt. I didn't pay attention to the nap of the corduroy, it would have been easy enough to do, but once it's quilted and all the texture comes from that I like the idea of having the different directions of the cord nap adding to the sensory element.

chicopee corduroy quilt back

Gosh. Reading this post back it sounds terribly artsy and really quite pompous!

Put simply - I like stroking my quilts, I guess I never grew up from those cloth texture books babies have.

I'm toying with the idea of quilting this myself. But I'm not sure. I'm not brilliant at quilting, and I do think Long Arm Chris will do a far better job than me (plus I haven't been to see her for a little while).

28 comments:

Anna said...

They are fabulous! Love the colours, mine is coming along slowly....

Jenelle said...

Not pompous, just specific. :) Quilting is an art and maybe we can talk about it like it's included? I really like how a few changes in value placement and fabric choices here really creates a whole new look. Both are beautiful!

Danielle said...

No need to think you're sounding pompous, we all know exactly what you're talking about and are nodding wisely. I love the Chicopee version. I love them all.

Anita said...

Love both your quilts! You have such a great eye for color and placement :)

Fran said...

Lovely photos of lovely quilts :-)

Stitch and Yarn said...

I love your scrappytripalong - definitely one of my favourites. I've been following along on instragram, but like Anna, mine is progressing slowly!

Annabelle said...

Beautiful quilt and quilting. x

Marit said...

I do love the humble 2.5" square. So much potential. I think you are the queen of 2.5" square quilts by now. Love all of them! Fun layout for the pretty Chicopee! I'm itching to make a few more trips. And my first scrap vomit, too. (Just need to get " fit for fight " with a rested shoulder and neck. Not easy getting that rest as you are sharing all this BEAUTY!
; )

Jacqueline said...

Curious... whats the weight of a corduroy quilt like? I LOVE the idea, but it sounds like one might crawl under it and not be able to get out. Not at all bad, if you have nowhere you have to be! ;))

Michele said...

Bravo! It's gorgeous.

Flying Blind... said...

Both completely stunning; the corduroy looks and sounds completely extravagant!

Karen said...

I wish I were as fearless as you. 1. You use your fabric! The Chicopee version is not a 'scrap' quilt in the least bit. 2. You don't stick with just cottons. 3. You go whole hog into projects.

Thorougly enjoy reading your blog.

heart of charnwood said...

Very analytical, but i get what you mean about simplicity and texture, very good. You'll never get better at quilting if you don't give it a go yourself! : )

Kara-Kara Pumpkineater said...

LOVE THIS, Katy! Great job!!! :)

Elsa said...

Oh so pretty Katy! I'm going on a 4 day retreat in March and that's when I'm doing the scrappy trip along. I'm usually a little bit behind on these along things. I'm going to have all my strips cut and ready to go.

bloominworkshop said...

I am so in love with your Chicopee Trip quilt. Wow! I wish it could come live with me.

Anna said...

Ack! Gorgeous! I love the layout you chose for the chicopee quilt.

sukie said...

I love the chicopee one! Great job woman you're on fire!!

CathyK said...

EXCELLENT!!! Love that scrappy quilt and I think that back is FABULOUS! You rock!

doodlebugmom said...

I love the front and the back. And I like you when you sound all artsy, pretty cool!

Annabellouise said...

Wow. The quilt is incredible.

Cheryl Arkison said...

I"m sure you like stroking something...
Love the layout on your Chicopee quilt. Love it.

Archie the wonder dog said...

You make the most wonderful quilts! I might have to save my pennies and get some corduroy!

Marta said...

Chicopee lends itself so perfectly to corduroy. Are you going to use batting with this quilt or leave it out due to the thickness of the corduroy? Looks awesome.

LoBo333 said...

Cool quilt - and I like the back! Did you also put some of the corduroy along the top and bottom edges of the quilt back - so it would be right there where you could touch it while you're using it? Very nice idea.

Darcy said...

I am so in love with that Chicopee quilt - am totally making one for myself and completely copying you :-) So lovely! Thanks for the inspiration!

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, that backing is going to be so touchy feely!

pandchintz said...

Love it!!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive