Wednesday, 16 January 2013

stitch savvy blog tour




Welcome to my stop on the stitch savvy blog tour!
Deb is one of my favourite sewists - she is incredibly generous with her knowledge and Whipstitch has always been one of my top go-to blogs for helpful hints and tips on how to do most everything.

Stitch Savvy is Deborah's second book and is designed to help develop your skill set from absolute beginner sewing right through to pretty much rock star level.

There are projects to suit every ability, every aesthetic and every home or individual. Bags, quilts, pillows, and clothes - for both children and grown ups. Every area is covered, as well as great step by step photos and clear directions.
The fabric picnic (or anything) basket is top of my list of must makes. I can see that stuffed full of my WIPs and bits and pieces to keep them from being stacked in little piles all over the house.



At the end of each project there's a 'next steps' suggestion box - with a variety of projects that you could try as the next step of your sewing journey. Ultimately you can create your own path - you start at the very beginning with the most simple warm projects such as a drawstring bag and work your way through the pages of the book, stopping to try out a new skill set or technique and having the sewing adventure of your life!


The book is spiral bound (which is a real treat), it lays flat so you're not trying to hold the book flat and read the directions for the next step, pin, sew, cut or whatever all at the same time. Spiral bound books make me happy.

There's a CD at the back of the book that contains 13 PDF patterns for the projects too.



All in all, for anyone wanting to develop their skills a little further, or to try out some new areas of sewing this is a really great place to start. The basics are covered really well, so you can be an absolute beginner with the most basic sewing skills and not feel out of your depth (although Deborah recommends it as a follow on to her first book, Stitch by Stitch, it's not essential.)

Deb has a full list of the stops on the blog tour on the Whipstitch blog, and on Friday she'll be giving away 2 samples from the book itself!

Stitch Savvy is published by F+W media and has a cover price of $27.99 (US)/ £19.99 (UK) but is currently on Amazon.com at $16.67.

15 comments:

elsy said...

another book for the list katy....stop tempting me!
all the fab stuff to buy for this hobby/passion of ours....i will need a second job at this rate.

heart of charnwood said...

I have a copy of this on it's way to me, glad to see it looks so good! I did get another couple of books in the last week, one about quilts from the blogging universe, it's pretty good, jam packed with amazing talented artists, ever heard of it? ; ) Ange x

Johanna said...

This is going on my wishlist!

Archie the wonder dog said...

Looks like a great book - I love the idea of the WIP basket!

Sarah said...

I'm sure this is on a 'wish list' somewhere...I'm off to add to my Amazon list. Thanks for the great review.

Rosa said...

Another for the wish list.

Elsa said...

So many books ~ so little time. There are at least 4 projects I want to do in this book. Got it on my wish list.

mascanlon said...

Great review Katy. Added the book to my list of course.

terrieannie said...

Ordered it and it should be arrivingg soon!!

House of Pinheiro said...

Ohhh that's us awesome book, going to get it x

Elena said...

Looks really interesting. I will add it to my "must have" book's list. Thanks for the review :)

Katy Cameron said...

I enjoyed her class so much at SS, I shall have to investigate!

Annabelle said...

I just love the look of this book. Thanks for the tip. x

Cecilia said...

This book looks grea.

Jodi - usairdoll said...

Love that big bag! I could also fill it up with WIPs, hehe. Sounds like a great book! Thanks for your review!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive