Saturday, 12 January 2013

what's new, American pussycat?

Happy Saturday!

So what's new this week?

My scarf is new....

My new figure 8 scarf (kit from @justabitfrayed ) is currently being modelled by my banister.

I bought a kit from Brenda for the free figure 8 scarf pattern (on Anna Maria Horner's site) and literally as soon as it arrived I had to sew it up! It took me about 10 minutes to make the scarf other than the little bit of hand sewing that took probably another 10 minutes. I absolutely love it and hands down it's the best $24 I have spent on fabric in the past year, maybe more. The velveteen is thick and luxurious, yet still soft and drapes, and the voile is like butter.

Now I want this version too...


A few of the pre-cuts for Zen Chic's new line are new in - fat eighth bundle, layer cake and charm pack  with yardage due in next month.


And this amazing Nani Iro with silver glitter in incredibly soft brushed cotton. Can you imagine how amazing that would be in PJ pants, or as the back of a special quilt? I'm seriously considering making a blues and aquas quilts JUST to back it with this.


Whilst we're on the subject of using something other than a regular quilting cotton for backing quilts, and because I get asked a lot about using things like velveteen or voiles in quilts - try it. If you have never tried something like a voile binding you are missing out. Remember those cotton blankies you can get for babies, that are trimmed with wide satin edging? I used to have one that I would rub the satin edge all over my face as a toddler. I loved that blankie. A voile binding is just like that. My flannel quilt has a voile binding and it's supposed to be my husband's quilt, but I kind of stole it back from him and I'll sit there, flannel side on me, with the voile binding tucked in between my fingers. It feels so wonderful. Piecing substrates is no big deal - you need to use a slightly more generous seam allowance with flannels and velveteens (I use a half inch) and I've read you should pre-wash (honestly, I don't - I like that they shrink up a touch more and it adds extra wrinkle factor after that first finished quilt wash, which I love). Voiles are a bit slippery - but nothing a spray of starch doesn't fix. I used mostly voiles for Hexy MF and it was no more difficult to piece that any other english paper piecing I've done. Possibly better because it felt like butter. You need to check out this quilt from the #scrappytripalong by Janice. It's all voile. Tell me you don't want to go out and buy up all the voile you can find right now because of that quilt?

Fat Quarter Shop has Bella Solids in 108" wide (scroll down a bit on the page, you'll find them). This is good news for a few reasons;


  • single piece quilt backs with no seams. This gives you a super modern whole cloth effect on the reverse side, as well as your pieced quilt top on the front. 
  • long borders and sashing strips don't need piecing - single length long pieces, again, no seams
  • extra wide fabrics in a greater variety just make me happy
The colours are your basic staples, grey, black, navy, red, white, and natural. They're good value and they're Moda Bella, so you know the quality is good.

Just in is French General's La Belle Fleur in yardage and pre-cuts. It's so soft and romantic. I love French General fabrics.



Also just in is Dan Stile's fun new line Safari Soiree for Birch Fabrics. An organic line and really nicely designed. Great colours.



My favourite ever Dr Seuss book, Oh The Places You'll Go, is now in fabric form, thanks to Robert Kaufman. That book makes me tear up when I read it, I think it's possibly the best advice you can ever give your children. If someone had made me a baby quilt from these fabrics, and added a copy of the book in the package, it would have been the best present ever. I'm going to need to buy some of this, for sure. Maybe I should make a quilt for each of my kids and keep them tucked away until they leave for college. I'm almost wishing the years away now!




Valentine's day is sorted thanks to Lola Pink Fabrics

Olive the Ostrich by Laurie Wisbrun is on the shelves right now!



The heart prints are perfect stash builders - in pewter (below), red, pink and ivory


If you are local to Lola Pink (Lafayette, LA) then you need to stop everything and take a visit this coming Monday (January 14th) between 11.15 and 12 because Kate Spain will be there. Kate is one of the sweetest and kindest people I have ever met. She's incredibly talented and so friendly and warm and down to earth. If you are anywhere close by to layette, go meet her and tell her I said hi. You won't regret it, I promise.

Sew Fresh Fabrics have constellations by Lizzy House in stock, but some of those prints sell out fast.

Moon phase is my favourite of all the prints, it's a genius dot that has a really good larger scale (each dot is about 1.5" across) and from other online stores I've noticed it's selling out. Even if you're not a huge fan of the rest of the line, get FQs of the moon phase prints. You'll regret it later if you don't.


Twinkle Twinkle is another superb stash builder. Small scale stars with a generous amount of negative space. This print will be great cut up into small pieces.


A little bit of a blast from the past is this duck print from Red Letter Day also by Lizzy House.



And pearl bracelets from red Letter Day too. These are straight out the vault!


Last but never least, over at Sew Me A Song, there are always too many good things for me to list.

My favourites of the week are these prints from Sewing Seeds by J Wecker (yep - it's a new one to me as well!) Available as a bundle and also yardage.

This tape measure print comes in yellow, red and black. Look closely, it looks like a little log cabin block. Another thing I love about this is it looks like it could be a Japanese print, and therefore more pricey - but it's not. It's regular money. $2.75 for a FQ.



Also new in are Architextures and Art Gallery Solids in highly practical neutral shades.


That's it for this week! I'll see you tomorrow for What's New British Pussycat. Happy shopping!

12 comments:

mascanlon said...

Such a troublemaker....but a few of these I have to have...the tape measure in acouple of colors, always Lizzy for the stash. Today I did a couple of brick and mortar shops with some friends. Added more AMH Field Study and Ruby Star Rising. new Comma is great but I resisted the full FQ stack, will wait for the yardage and be selective. I am saving up for 5 yds of that leopard velveteen!

diane said...

I did the same thing with my Scarf kit. I haven't taken it off since I made it and now I ordered another one, the same as yours, because I like it so much.
Thanks for making me aware of all these great things at the great shops.
xo

annie patch said...

I'm in the UK, but it didn't stop me going straight to Pink Castle Fabrics to order a scarf kit! I umm'd and ahh'd a bit over the colours - the one you've made is GORGEOUS!!! - but when I saw the saffron and tangerine I knew I had to have it! You are so naughty, showing us all this great stuff ... don't stop!!

elsy said...

was up early so did my monthly treat order (well i don't drink that much!)to pink castle .....then i read your post......damn....can i get away with a few more sneaky purchases?

Sarah said...

You've done it again!!
I've had my eye on one of those scarf kits since you posted about them last time, and now I've read your post I REALLY DO NEED to have one, but I've spent so much this week its going to have to wait........."waaaaaaa" .....hope they are still in stock in a few weeks.

Elsa said...

Just saw that measuring tape fabric at my local shop ~ it's really cute!
Glad I'm on a sort of fabric diet or I'd be really tempted!

dolores said...

Um...I sorta didn't really get past your wall of shoes! Are those yours?:)

Jo Jo said...

I love the 'Oh The Places You'll Go' too - just wish you hadn't alerted to me to the fabric version! Damn you and your fabric posts :) Love your scarf too.

Nicole Follow the White Bunny said...

Love that scarf! And 'Oh the Places You'll Go' is my favourite Seuss book too. I have it on my 'Inspiration' shelf in my craft room :)

Flying Blind... said...

I have that same scarf kit as you - well it was a kit for about 1/2 an hour, then in scarf-form straight after - I did take it off to sleep last night though x

P├ętra said...

Those are my two favorite prints from Lizzy's new line! I just love the moon phase I just have to figure out what to make with them.

Claire Jain said...

Super cute scarf! I caught a glimpse of it on Instagram today, too ;-) Fun times!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive