Sunday, 13 January 2013

what's new, British pussycat?

Hello Sunday! Why is it that weekends fly by so fast? I've achieved zip all this weekend so far, and I can't see that changing today. I did clean the house, and managed to move all of the piles of fabric and sewing related stuff from the floor in the dining room, to a large stack next to my fabric closet, and chucked into the closet and on the floor in there. Oh well. It's a start.

There's some great new things this week in my sponsor's stores! Ooooh!!!!

Kate at M is for Make has had both rayon and voile from Anna Maria Horner's field study line delivered and are listed now. If you still haven't bought any of the cotton prints, you can find those at Kate's too!



I have never used rayon, because I'm a quilter and it's not for quilting. Anna Maria has written a very useful blogpost on what it is, how to use it and everything else you needed to know about the mystical fibre that is rayon challis. I'm intrigued by it, and I wish I was more capable of dressmaking because I would love to try it out. I've heard a lot of excitement from garment sewers about it, so I'm thinking it must be a welcome substrate. It certainly looks gorgeous in any photo of a finished item, doesn't it?



Voiles I do know about. They're amazing. You can read up on them and their uses courtesy of Anna Maria too. Kate has this print in both colourways;



I mentioned it in yesterday's post and I'll mention it again - voile makes amazing quilt bindings, the softest buttery quilts, baby blankets that feel like clouds and they're obviously perfect for lightweight clothing (but as I don't know anything about sewing clothes - I'll not even pretend to know how to use them in that way!)

Annie at the Village Haberdashery has also had a delivery of voile and has 9 different prints in stock. Fine feathered is my favourite, the colour is a perfect red and the feathers are wonderful up close.


Annie has had quite a busy week of deliveries. Selected lucky penny by Alison Glass prints are in, some of the architextures, and banksia bloom by Saffron Craig (below)


As well as the aqua colourway of Saltwater by Tula Pink, and selected Lizzy House Constellations (I said it yesterday, I'll say it again - moon phase is an amazing dot and one that should be a part of every stash.

PLUS there's an additional 20% off all sale fabric with the code SALE20 until January 18th. Lots of new fabrics are on sale; bloomsbury gardens from Liberty Lifestyle, Maman from Cloud 9 and The Birds and The Bees from Tula Pink. It's a good time to snap up a bargain!

Justine from Simply Solids is packing up and mailing out all the Sew Solids Crew stash club bundles this weekend.

I have just got some kona red and kona lagoon for a new scrap vomit quilt. Justine is my go-to shop for kona solids, I know she's my friend but it's great to have somewhere with a wide variety of colours organised simply by colour story for me to go to.



I also got some black klona from Alice at backstitch. I've said it many times before, but I like the slightly heavier feel to these klona cottons for some projects.


I would choose white klona over any other kind of white solid, purely because it looks much crisper when your block or project is finished.

Eclectic Maker has had saltwater by Tula Pink in the aqua colourway arrive and is online now.




Have you checked out the patterns section? They have a really good range of patterns like these children's clothes patterns by Violette Field Threads


That's all from me today. I'm going to think about tidying the stack of fabrics I moved yesterday. I don'tthink I'll do more than just think about it though. It's Sunday, a day of rest.

5 comments:

Katy Cameron said...

Thanks for that rayon link, super handy!

Clare said...

Thanks for the Klona tip - I'm after some white and couldn't find anything locally - and its a bit blind gauging it online :D

Flying Blind... said...

I have just finished a 75% white Klona quilt top - and totally agree x

Collette said...

agree on the white Klona it is fab for most projects and so crisp! great post x

Annabellouise said...

I like rayon. It is a very old fashioned fabric and was around in the 40s and 50s, before polyester and nylon. It has a lovely drape. Beautiful print.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive