Wednesday, 20 February 2013

how to make a pillow {intro}

A little while ago Sarah asked me how I make pillows, and if I'd do a little tutorial on the process.

This got me thinking, because there are so many ways to make a pillow, and I don't mean the pillow front - I mean the pillow back. Envelope, zipper, buttons - each method has a heap of different options in itself.

I figure it'd make a really nice series of posts with some how-to's and hopefully you'll all share your tips on how to make a pillow as we go along too, because I know you'll have some great tips (that'll no doubt help me out too!)

It also ties in really nicely with a book I'm in that came out recently, Pillow Pop by Stash books (compiled by Heather Bostic)

i wrote a book!  :D


It's a really great book full of inspiring pillow projects, and has full directions on all kinds of pillow backs.

This is the pillow I made....

Pillow Pop


Over the next few weeks I'll show you some different methods for making the pillow, some of the tools and products I like to use and ideas on finishing.

We'll cover basic envelope openings (2 ways), zippers, buttons and anything else I can think of as we go along.

I hope you'll enjoy it!


21 comments:

patchworkdelights said...

Really glad you are doing this. I am working on a pillow front and the closer it is to being ready to be made into a pillow the more nervous I am getting all becuase of the measurements and the back! So looking forward to guidance. Fi

Linda said...

This is just what I need! Made several cushions myself but either stitched them closed at the top ( not ideal) or done an envelope back using ideas gleaned here and there on the Internet. It would be great to know how to do several methods properly including zips.
Thank you in advance.

Pam said...

Brilliant idea, it is good to have clear directions from one source rather than a jumble of bits and bobs gleaned from all over the place.

Christine said...

I am looking forward to your pillow posts. I do quite a bot of sewing and quilting but have not made a pillow yet. It is on my list of things to make this year. The pillow you made for the book is gorgeous.

Sarah said...

Oh great! I'll look forward to these posts :-)

heart of charnwood said...

Great work, love the plus cushion, very cute (see what i did there, it's a bloody cushion!!) ; )

Archie the wonder dog said...

I'm looking forward to this series of posts, I love seeing how other people do things and picking up tips!

Ann said...

Oh!! I'm excited for this! I have two pillow tops made and have been stuck on how to proceed in making the backs and everything else!

jodie said...

Oh yes, this will be fun!

Allison said...

Oh, this is perfect timing for me! I need to cover some throw pillows for the livingroom, and want to learn some ways to make the backs. I recently covered a giant pillow to keep in the car for my son, and just did an envelope finish. He likes to put his arms in the cover through that opening and run around. He looks like a giant butterfly; it makes him happy, but drives me nuts :)

Flying Blind... said...

Fab!

Katy Cameron said...

One can never have too many cushions...

Sara said...

Looking forward to some pillow talk!!

Carla said...

I just bought that book yesterday for my daughter ; ) I'm hoping for new pillows!

Nicky said...

Love making cushions! And usually just make it up as I go along...so I will be watching with interest

Megan said...

Brilliant! The construction part of cushions daunts me a little which is silly, so I shall follow with great interest.

Whosies said...

great idea and can't wait to see all the posts! I always get stuck on that darn zipper.

mascanlon said...

I have to admit especially for most decorative pillows I take the easy way out and envelope them! So this will be fun, thanks Katy.

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm always reading blogs in bunches. I've caught up on your blog. I love all you make and show. You really are so inspiring. And you cost me $ because I always have to have a bit of the fabrics on parade. But I'm not complaining. I love that you feature sellers. You are amazing!

Debbie said...

great idea!

Dolores said...

Love the Plus Cushion, the squares look really small are they 2"? Anyway, I'm catching up on my reader so I'm looking forward to getting to the tutorials as cushions are on my to do list.

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive