Friday, 8 March 2013

finished!

Chicopee scrappy trips is all done. Actually, it's been all done for a week or two, but as soon as it was finished I started using it so didn't get any pictures. I like it when I love a quilt so much I have to take it to bed right away. Snoop likes it too, it's so cozy and warm which is important when you're a tiny chihuahua (and you can see Noodle likes it - but he's a cat and cats like all quilts)

chicopee trips



Chris quilted it for me in a loopy figure 8 pattern using a bright lime green thread, which is a perfect choice (she chose it, she's much better at picking thread than me).You can see her pictures on her blog too.

chicopee trips


It's backed with corduroy, which I'm so pleased with. I'll definitely use it again (and again). For a winter quilt, or something that is going to get a lot of use, the corduroy adds just enough bulk. There's still a cotton batting in the sandwich too, I wasn't brave enough to just go for 2 layers (although that would be lovely as a lighter, more summery blanket).

corduroy backing


The quilt has now been washed, and crinkled up just right, so I thought it was probably time to take some pictures, but the weather is terrible and it's all grey and wet outside so these will have to do for now. *sigh*.

I still can't get over how much I love this pattern. The layout for this version is different to the original I made, but after making 2 quilts with that layout I wanted to try something different and there were so many really great layouts popping up in the scrappy trip along flickr group.

I even made a big pillow with the leftover strips and squares.

chicopee trips pillow


Honestly I don't think I'm done with this pattern, it's so fast and uses up a fair amount of fabric with very little waste. And it's free - so that makes it even better.

I just had a look at my set on flickr, I've now made 4 versions of this quilt. 4. And I have a 5th smaller baby quilt waiting to be sewn together. I don't think I've ever made that many versions of any quilt, except Scrap Vomit. In fact I know I haven't. Not sure if I should admit it, but I think I'm going to make yet another. I just bought a lot (I filled 2 flat rate envelopes) of Anna Maria Horner voile from Sew Mama Sew's $6 sale (keep checking the store if you're looking for really cheap voile, apparently they'll be getting more in next week or so). I don't even care if I get caught for customs charges - at $6/yard I'm happy to get that ridiculous charge (even the £8 handling charge) and still be grabbing an absolute bargain. In fact, when it comes back in stock I might get more.

And her's proof I might be going bonkers - I'm also tempted to make a sister for this quilt using Denyse's new line, Shelburne falls. Brenda has FQ bundles in stock in Lilac, Maple and Willow, and if you use BUNDLE25 on checkout you get 25% off (that's on all bundles, not just Shelburne Falls bundles). I wonder if there'll be any substrates for Shelburne Falls, another corduroy or a voile or something. I think I'll have to have a look into that.

Quilt deets;
Chicopee trips. Free pattern from quiltville. Finished size - 60 x 72".
quilted by Long Arm Chris
fabrics - full line of chicopee from Denyse Schmidt plus one random black and white floral repro from stash, backed with chicopee corduroy
Started January 14th 2013, finished February 26th 2013.


23 comments:

Karen said...

Love! This one in progress got me back into trying the pattern and I put binding on it last weekend. I have faithfully been avoiding your posts on fabric but don't know that I can avoid it much longer-such great sales! Go for it on shelburne, it will be a great sister quilt!

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

Do it! I've just started a Shelburne Falls scrappy trip along and it's lush! Your Chicopee quilt made me do it :)

ScissorsandThread said...

Gorgeous- love this version. Really love this quilt pattern - am so tempted but really must not start a new quilt right now!

Nicky said...

Great to see a different take on this! And love it!

Go for it - all of them!

Christine said...

It is beautiful. I love the pillow too.

Marit said...

A beauty! I am sooooo tempted...
; )

bloominworkshop said...

I love this version! And I love that you put corduroy on the back! I too feel the need to make another one.

Elsa said...

I got started on my Scrappy Trip and love how it comes together! I'm loving yours too. I won 20 fat quarters of Art Gallery fabric last year so that's what I've been using and need a bit more of it to finish (isn't that the way it works?).
I think I'll probably do another ~ just love how it looks.

Deborah said...

Ok. That does it. Now I HAVE to make one!! Awesome!

Dory Ellen said...

How many fat quarters did you use to make your 60x72 quilt?

Monica said...

I love it! It looks great in Chicopee! But then again I haven't seen anything I didn't like made out of it.

Sherri said...

It's so gorgeous! Mine is finished...but not quilted...and I absolutely can't wait to quilt it. I think it is one of my favorite quilts ever! I'm seriously tempted to make another one, too!

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love it! I want it...

Terri Mosier said...

Thanks alot... You just twisted my arm and MADE me buy a FQ bundle of Shelbourne Falls!! Awesome deal though! I got a fat quarter bundle for $67!

krista said...

Love it. My Chicopee sta is still sitting untouched after 30 blocks. I need to get it back out again now that I have another design roll! I was thinking of making a pillow with the extra scraps, too. Corduroy backing sounds divine!! Wish I'd gotten in on that $6 voile sale, is is the first I've heard of it!

Mego said...

Gorgeous! I love the 'controlled' scrappy using a 'line of fabric'. Hmmmmmmmm I have some of those! OK I'm OFF to sew!

Katy Cameron said...

If I was as wee as Snoop, I'd be wrapping myself in every quilt you had in this cold! I just love the idea of that corduroy backing for snuggling

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks fantastic...and I completely get the addictive part of the pattern...I've made 4 so far!

Darcy said...

LOVE love love this!!!!! Did you do the 3.5" blocks for this one? SO copying you! And Happy Birthday (just a teensy bit early ;-)

Darcy said...

LOVE love love this!!!!! Did you do the 3.5" blocks for this one? SO copying you! And Happy Birthday (just a teensy bit early ;-)

Carla said...

Oh it's fabulous!

smithcindyk said...

Could you share the layout for this last quilt? I couldn't really tell from the picture? Did you do all of them different? I have done one but thinking about maybe one more?

Syaiful isma said...

Good Job, Thank you for presenting a wide variety of information that is very interesting to see in this artikle


http://www.tourkarimunjawaisland.com/
and http://jualfurniturejepara.com/
or http://www.mebeljeparafurniture.com/
and http://www.tokokaintenunjepara.com/

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!

Blog Archive